+ Reply to Thread

Default what epoxy product was used on "how to fix rotted wood" video on TOH?

How to Fix Rotted Wood with Epoxy
    with general contractor Tom Silva, This Old House television

copy and paste that since i'm new and they won't let me paste a link.

also what is a good product to use for spreading onto old redwood where the grain is just slightly softened from age, I can only stick a pick in about 1/8th inch, maybe even less. It is really slight. Do I just sand/primer/paint?

thanks.

Default Re: what epoxy product was used on "how to fix rotted wood" video on TOH?

You can use a product called ROT-FIX made by System Three.It's a low viscocity epoxy resin that saturates rotted or punky wood,and cures to a hard product.
    It does a very good job of sinking deep into the wood and wetting out the rotted wood fibers.Once it cures it makes the wood very strong.
    System three also makes a product called Sculpt Wood,which is an epoxy putty made to repair broken wood.It can be molded to any shape.
    Both of these are true two part epoxy products.Most marine supply houses carry them.Here's a link to one supplier,and another to System Three's site.

Oops being a newbie I don't have enough posts to attach a link,but you can just do a search on System Three.Or you can do this,it's systemthree dot com.One of the suppliers would be mertons dot com.

Default Re: what epoxy product was used on "how to fix rotted wood" video on TOH?

I've had good luck with the Minwax two-part product. Be sure to use the wood stablizer product beforehand to get a firm bond.