I have been looking at the specs on these LED's and I feel they are a bit misleading. Well more than just a bit really. In big bold print on the front, it will say something like "*compare to a 60 watt incandescent". Note, it does not say "*WHEN compared". just "*compare". So I do and here is what I find.

A 60 watt soft white bulb is around 800 lumens or so. A 13 watt CFL is around 900 lumens. The LED's I have looked at that say compared to a 60 watt incandescent put out significantly less lumens. They actually are closer to a 40 watt incandescent. when compared by lumen output, the CFL's and LED's are about equal.

Then there is the flicker problem. Some LED's, especially the cheap ones put out by Lights of America have a flicker like old tubular fluorescents and I believe that can be detrimental to the development of very young children and babies. I see a distinct correlation to the rise in autism and hyperactivity in children as hospitals and schools have switched from natural lighting from windows and incandescent bulbs to fluorescent lights and no windows. While the children may not see the flicker, the rate of flicker is very close to the natural frequency of the nervous system.

Not all LED's have a flicker problem and most CFLs operate at a flicker that is far higher that we can detect. It depends on the ballast.

I don't care for this rush into the new lighting. I think that there should be more research done on this flicker problem. BTW, the same thing applies to television sets and small children and babies. The new TV's with the 240 hz refresh rate or higher should be much better around young children.