+ Reply to Thread

Default Can't find vinyl tubular weather stripping fits in channel for wood crank windows

My house is 12 years old. I have wooden crank windows. They have a channel where vinyl tubular weather stripping fits in. Painter screwed up and ruined most of it. Been to Home Depot, Lowes and local building supply places. They not only don't carry it but none have even seen it before. Where can I buy this stuff. Search only comes up with the vinyl tubular kind you staple. I need the kind that fits into the channel.

Anybody know where I can buy this? I live in the SE Denver metro area. Anybody from this area that knows a local place would be great. If not, would take any suggestions.
    Last edited by trav80015; 09-07-2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typos

Default Re: Can't find vinyl tubular weather stripping fits in channel for wood crank windows

First, I hope you have not paid off the painter yet, he should be the one paying for the repair of what he screwed up.

Second, you're not going to find much at Homo Cheapo because they only stock what is cheap and popular du jur, aka, whatever they've sourced a train load of and you will never see again once they unload it onto the unsuspecting populace.

Third, the windows probably have a manufacturers stamp somewhere on them. Contact the manufacturer for replacement weather strip.

Fourth, if you can't find any identifying marks, then call a glass shop to come out and take a look OR take a sample of the weather strip to them, they should be able to find a replacement or tell you what brands use that particular type of weather strip.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Can't find vinyl tubular weather stripping fits in channel for wood crank windows

WHat Spruce said plus;

Fourth - or take a few pictures with your smart phone and take them to the window sales places in your area. They may have some ideas.

Fifth - find an untouched home on your block that matches yours. Look at their windows for ID information.

You mentioned that a search found nothing. I don't think that there is a product in this world that is not somewhere on the net.

Change your search, again and again till you find it. I'm sure you'll get better results from the net than from the manufacturer.

No Luck so far. Was hoping someone from This Old House could chime in. They ran a show on weather stripping. They did a door in Wash DC home and used the vinyl tubular weather stripping. So I assume they know the mfg. of the one they used for that door.

Outside of that, although I appreciate the suggestions, none of them led me to a supply of this stuff. The builder of the house, Richmond Homes, no longer uses that stuff and does not keep records of where or who they got it from that far back.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on This Old House, check your story and find out where you got that weather stripping and share the info!

Other than sharing the same name, this site has no connection with the show. What you see here are real world tradesmen volunteering their time and experience.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I commend you and all the others. It is unbelievable the number of posts you and others have made here. Again I thank you for your input on my situation. I am just hoping someone from TOH is scanning these chat boards could go back to find out where they got the product they used on the show.

Again, thank you and the others for your time and effort.

I think I have the same type of weather stripping on my windows. I found what looks like the same thing on swisco.com. Look for "bubble seal"

Here's a whole bunch of possibilities.
    http://www.swisco.com/cl/Weatherstripping
    Of course a pic would help. I commiserate that it's not possible for those newly-joined.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.