+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to insulate above radiant water heating in ceiling?

So you don't think there'd be a condensation issue if I just blanket over the top? It doesn't get too terribly hot (125 degree water when it leaves the boiler) so I didn't think it'd be much of an issue but I wasn't sure.

I'm not a insulation contractor but I don't see condensation as being a problem. Just don't pack it down and if you have soffit vents be sure not to block them.

John

*** hydronic in an attic? that amazes me and I wish I were in your position so i could sell all of that copper and get a more efficient layout. Heat rises so I would think baseboard hydronic would work much better for you to head the rooms rather than heating the attic.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dcalabro View Post
    *** hydronic in an attic? that amazes me and I wish I were in your position so i could sell all of that copper and get a more efficient layout. Heat rises so I would think baseboard hydronic would work much better for you to head the rooms rather than heating the attic.
    To do that he would have to run the boiler at a higher temperature. And seeing as he has radiant heat on the first he would need a panel troll to lower the temperature for the first floor zone. All he is asking to do is insulate to lower his heating bills I don't think redoing the entire system is what he is looking for.

John

So it's a 2 story daylight ranch...we have radiant in the slab below, but upstairs is where the living areas are and they're in the ceiling. I almost never turn on the heat down below....never gets that cold.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
    So it's a 2 story daylight ranch...we have radiant in the slab below, but upstairs is where the living areas are and they're in the ceiling. I almost never turn on the heat down below....never gets that cold.
    Are you saying you would rather remove and scrap your existing heating? No matter what you do you should insulate the attic space. Why not do that now and see how it works out. I think you will be very happy with it.

John

No matter what you decide to do you should insulate your attic space. You may find it will give you what your looking for.

John

I have a 1950 daylight ranch and the radiant water heating on the ground level is in the slab, but upstairs (Where the main living area is) has radiant water copper pipes in the ceiling and there's no insulation above it. Our heating bills are ridiculous in the winter and I'd like to know how to insulate above the pipes? Do I need a radiant barrier for above the pipes or can I just lay the roll fiberglass insulation over the top of them? I've also heard that I need 3/4" air space and another person told me 6".

This is a rare bird that has this kind of heat in the ceiling so does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.
    GregoryK - did you ever get a solution to this? I have the exact same situation - in Oregon no less - and have the same concerns and questions you did/do.

Quote Originally Posted by lekun View Post
    GregoryK - did you ever get a solution to this? I have the exact same situation - in Oregon no less - and have the same concerns and questions you did/do.
    I need to know, too.

We consult on old radiant systems, design and install new ones as well.

The answer is insulate with reckless abandon. Radiant heat does not need a "radiant" barrier. In fact if it touches is conducting heat and only radiates through unobstructed air.

So insulate to the recommended depth for your area plus 20% and be happy.

The other factor that will effect the cost of operation is the water temperature sent to the ceiling. The standard is 110F max and outdoor reset will improve comfort and efficiency.
    Badger Radiant Designs