+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Master Bath Shower questions...

Hi all!

We are currently trying to remodel our Master Bathroom and we are hitting a few snags...

Our old shower stall was ~ 46" x 32" and we are trying to increase the size - without incurring major expenses of custom doors and moving supply lines and drains. We bought a kit from a tile shop that allows us to create our own shower pan (comes with a quick pitch system for the drain - yea! ), so we still have wiggle room for size changes.

The original new size we were planning for was a 48" x 48" stall, but now that we've priced shower doors - it seems like we can't get one for that size without breaking our entire budget. Any ideas on a new size that would be considered "standard", therefore slightly cheaper?

Also, should we leave the drain and shower head where they currently are? The shower head would be off-centered in the larger shower...

Any ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Master Bath Shower questions...

First find out the std size door closest to your plan, then plan your actual size accordingly - unless you are willing to go custom door.

If you're on a budget, leave the shower head and handles where they are. I've built a few showers where the handles were not in the center - to save money and they looked fine.

dj's advice is right on. any chance you can upload a pic to show us the space you have? also a cheap alternative is to keep the shower valve where it is, as dj said, and to move only the shower head which is a piece of cake to center that on the wet wall, another wall or from the ceiling. would give you a nice look for minimal additional cost.

You can make the shower pan larger than the door width, just add a wing wall to the side with the glass door.

I'd ditch the quick pitch and make your own mud pan. A DIY pan will have a level perimeter, with a non centered drain in a non square shower, the quick pitch will yield a perimeter that is unlevel.

At my local HD, a door for a 48" shower pan (34x48) is one of the standard sizes. If you want to do a quick shower pan in a custom size, they make them out of countertop material and are available from the big box stores through special order. Not cheap though, but an option. You can also get matching walls, again, not cheap but installation should be easier and no grout lines to keep clean.

Thanks for all of the advice.

I won a little budget battle... and the new shower size is 48" x 36". We aren't planning on moving the drain or the shower head/controls - they will be slightly of center, but don't think it'll look too off. I know that HoustonRemodeler is right about making our own pan, but how do we ensure the pitch is correct and the perimeter is level?

Any professional reviews of shower door companies? We've found a few sliding doors using ball bearing mounts that we like, but not sure which manufacturer to use? We've seen VIGO, MAAX, and BASCO - and just wondering what you guys think. They all seem to be in our price range.

Thanks again.

If you head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum you'll find an extensive library. It has one section devoted to drypack shower floors including the recipe, wetness, and installation techniques. When you start your own thread, you can post pictures and get answers specific to your project. Plus the Pro's there can 'look over your shoulder' as you go along.

Tell them we said Hi and that they're a little behind on our referral commission. We don't want to have to send Uncle Bruno to collect.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    If you head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum you'll find an extensive library. It has one section devoted to drypack shower floors including the recipe, wetness, and installation techniques. When you start your own thread, you can post pictures and get answers specific to your project. Plus the Pro's there can 'look over your shoulder' as you go along.

Tell them we said Hi and that they're a little behind on our referral commission. We don't want to have to send Uncle Bruno to collect.
    Houston - I've already been over there and seen some of the library... and even sent the husband some of the info... since he'll be doing the majority of the work. But it's great how you treat the "women-folk" DIYers... I know just by asking questions and following their great advice, I could do it just as well as the hubby.

Nxt time you stop by the John Bridge forum take a look at Wendy's steam shower thread and how she did a bang up job all by herownself. Good work there.