+ Reply to Thread

Default Are these structure? Can I remove them?

We are gutting most of our kitchen. One section at a time. My wife wants the old chimney exposed. So, we took the wall and lath down. I found these thick posts on the corners of the chimney. They are about 3x3 post. Are they structure? Or, were they just added to attach the lath to and close in the chimney? Are they holding up the second floor? There is a completed bathroom above the kitchen and I don't want it landing on my turkey sandwich.

I've been told by to others that are rehabbing their old houses that it's ok to remove them. I'm just nervous.

Default Re: Are these structure? Can I remove them?

you should be nervous. rule of thumb is to assume that they're structural. it's very possible that they might be but there's no way for any of us to tell without doing some probing and poking around. my advice would be to call in an engineer or good contractor and they should be able to tell you for sure. spending $100-$200 on one of them will be alot cheaper than finding out the hard way.

It's better to be careful and to double check, than to be sorry later. Have an experienced contractor look at this.

i would also recommend you to get a good engineer and designer for this they will charge some cost but will surely solve your problem of this

You need to consult a good engineer and a designer. Just look out for good engineers and designers in your area.

Without the Chicago schools to keep him out of trouble, itís only a matter of time before he loses everything in a backroom poker match at Aunt Rachelís restaurant or a high stakes game of H.O.R.S.E. Oddly enough, none of this will impact Eddieís long term future of becoming a cop in season nine.