+ Reply to Thread

Default Our Broken Home in NM

Hi TOH community, I've grown up watching the shows with my Dad and now find myself in a situation needing advise.

I got married to a pretty great guy who moved all the way from New Mexico to Windsor Ontario (Canada). His Mom had passed on their family home to him before she passed away. It's nothing too special, just a cozy little home.

Out of great kindness he had rented the home out to some family members for free, as long as they payed the yearly taxes, which they had been keeping up. Recently they mentioned vacating the home and so we thought about selling it, since we're much too far away to maintain it. I contacted a small real estate company that has been incredibly helpful to date.

Unfortunately, over the last few weeks it's avalanched from selling an old home that needed some repairs to all the windows being broken, graffiti on the walls and lord knows what else "someone" has done in just this past two weeks.

We don't have the means to replace all the broken windows, and only just last week received a letter from the City of Roswell that they are threatening to condemn it in 10 days.

I have to admit, I'm pretty much breaking down in tears here and am feeling sick. All we wanted to do was sell this home, maybe get enough out of it to put a down payment on a home up here where we live.

We don't have a clue what to do, and could use some advice or options.

Thanks

Default Re: Our Broken Home in NM

Homeowners insurance?

thought about doing a quick auction? you probably won't get full value but you'll get something and aviod alot of headaches down the road trying to fix it, maintain it and have someone watch it until it sells.

I've never heard of a house auction before. I'll look into this, thank you so much.

the real estate company should be able to help you out

An empty vacant house.
    A bunch of ungrateful relatives.
    An absentee long distance landlord.
    A realtor who could care less.
    A city which is fed up with abandoned properties.

These all add up to a disaster.

Fly down there and take care of business, if you want anything out of this house.

Remember this in real estate: Someone's misery is always sombody else's bonanza.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    An empty vacant house.
    A bunch of ungrateful relatives.
    An absentee long distance landlord.
    A realtor who could care less.
    A city which is fed up with abandoned properties.

These all add up to a disaster.

Fly down there and take care of business, if you want anything out of this house.

Remember this in real estate: Someone's misery is always sombody else's bonanza.
    I think you may have gotten the wrong impression. Our realtor has been very kind and helpful and already has done a lot of leg work for us and asked nothing in return.

And I guess if we were Mitt & Ann we could just hop on a plane, but that's a $1k+ we don't have, not to mention lost wages from the time needed to be taken off. We're only in our 30s and been married 4 years, we're not some big time hustling land owners.

DawnC,

Sorry to sound so harsh, but that's reality.

MLB mentioned an auction and that's a possibility. But since you've been dealing with a helpful realtor, why don't you list the house with him/her as a fixer upper in as is condition? The realtor has put some work without compensation, and is probably looking for a listing.

Just don't let the city put its hands on this house.