+ Reply to Thread

Cool Securing a new dishwasher under granite countertop

Hi
    How can I secure a new dishwasher under a granite countertop? the dishwasher came with clips for under countertop mounting but I cant drill into the granite. The clips cant turn horizonaly so I cant attach to the cabinets. I dont want to drill holes into the sides of the dishwasher since this will void my warranty. the Mfg is not much help.

Thanks

Default Re: Securing a new dishwasher under granite countertop

Normal installation of granite countertops is on 3/4" plywood, so you attach your DW's clips to the plywood underlayment.

If you don't have plywood ask the installer why. Think about it: without plywood, the granite will bust.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Normal installation of granite countertops is on 3/4" plywood, so you attach your DW's clips to the plywood underlayment.

If you don't have plywood ask the installer why. Think about it: without plywood, the granite will bust.
    I have never seen plywood installed under granite unless it's granite tile. In answer to your question most granite installers fasten a piece of wood to the granite just over the DW so it can be fastened to the top.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    In answer to your question most granite installers fasten a piece of wood to the granite just over the DW so it can be fastened to the top.

John
    And this can still be done. All you need is a scrap of plywood or 1x2 the width of the dishwasher, some construction adhesive, and some clamps. If you, the homeowner, are unable to do this, then call the granite guy back to do it for you.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

John,

"Normal installation".

Without plywood in shaky California, you'll see your slab cracking in no time.

Another point: some dishwashers have mounting holes on the sides, just behind the front door, to attach to the cabinets next to them.

We always use a good quality plywood for decking under stone countertops. The problem with adding a piece of wood after the fact - most times you can see the piece of wood after install.

There are metal brackets made just for the situation you have. Braxton Bragg carries them.