+ Reply to Thread

Default water pressure regulator

Hi,

I came across a term: water pressure regulator. Does my house has one? What is/are the function(s)? Does it need to be replaced once a while? Your help is appreciated.

Cheers,
    tohd

Default Re: water pressure regulator

A pressure regulator is used to reduce the water pressure in your home. It's only needed if your water pressure exceeds 80 PSI.

John

It is a device that goes on the incoming water line to reduce the pressure. It is only installed in locations where the water supply pressure is high. You may or may not have one. In my 70 years I have never lived anywhere where one was needed. To the second part of your question, yes they sometimes need to be rebuilt, replaced, or adjusted.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the info. How can I find out whether there is one in my house or not? If there is one and it is not working properly, will the water pressure keeps increasing and causing water leak, or the failure exhibits in some other ways? In general how often it need to be replaced/rebuilt/adjusted? Please advise.

Cheers,
    David

Your water pressure regulator is mounted on your incoming main water line, just passed the main shutoff valve. In my area, all homes have regulators and they are usually outside the house.

If the street pressure exceeds 75-80 psi and you don't have a regulator or your regulator is defective, you'll see leaks.

There is no set time to repair/clean/replace them. You do it when you need to.

Google it and see what it looks like so you can determine if you have one or not.

Call your water supply. They can tell you the pressure in your area and probably if you have a regulator. If you do, it's yours not theirs to maintain. If you do and it fails, more than likely you'd just not have any water, or very low pressure. Not likely that you'd have very high pressure.
    Waste not, want not.
    Use it up. Wear it out. Make it due, or due without.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer52 View Post
    Call your water supply. They can tell you the pressure in your area and probably if you have a regulator. If you do, it's yours not theirs to maintain. If you do and it fails, more than likely you'd just not have any water, or very low pressure. Not likely that you'd have very high pressure.
    When a PRV fails it stops doing it's job and that is to reduce the pressure. Making the pressure increase to the street pressure which is higher.

John

Farmer52 stated: "If you do and it fails, more than likely you'd just not have any water, or very low pressure. Not likely that you'd have very high pressure".

Wrong statement, as John noted.

The way to know that your regulator is gone is by high pressure inside the house, dripping faucets and angle stops. Since the regulator is your property, you need to fix it asap.