+ Reply to Thread

Default Help! 21 windows with no screens.

Hi, I new and getting more frustrated. March 31 of 2011 my son had a fire in a house near ours which he and his father were restoring. We have to have wood windows as we are in a historic area, His house is 100 years old. The firemen knocked out about 6 windows and we decided to replace all 21 windows as they were in bad shape. We used Home Depot and they only Have Jeldwyn wood windows. We bought 21 windows, The windows had to be custom made and the screens as well as no 2 windows are the same.
    On the way to our house from HD someone put the windows on the screens smashing them. The new screens arrived long after the contractor had left. When HD agreed to install the screens we were delighted. However they were not the right screens for that type of window. So Jeldwin agreed to remake the screens and install. When Jeldwin came they told me the windows were not square I had told them many times of that problem and that HD even told the contractor to "jury rig" and use shims to make the windows fit. Jeldwin can not install because they are telling me a reproduction carpenter would been needed. Does anyone have any thoughts? The windoes and screens were 8000.00 and no one is going to want to refund that.
    Last edited by raeingarden; 09-04-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: hit enter by mistake

Default Re: Help! 21 windows with no screens.

Another tic in the column of reasons NOT to purchase from Homo Cheapo or use their subcontractors.

I would recommend consulting with a few local contractors, whether they are window spe******ts or not, to see what your options are. What strikes me quite odd is if the window manufacturer send out a rep to measure for the new screens, why wasn't he able to spot the botched install job and either account for it in the measurements or inform you about it before the screens were made and now still can't be installed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Who delivered the windows from HD to your house?
    If someone other than you delivered them, why did you accept them in broken condition?
    Who installed them?

If you paid with a crerdit card, contact your credit card company and see if they can help you.

HD Called us and explained that the broken windows were their fault. They had no problem re ordering them but it took time. One of the general problems all of us have with our "old" houses is that insurance companies think you are stalling and they can not finalize ther paperwork.

If it's an insurance issue, can't you just show the receipts to your insurance agent? It's out of your control.

What difference does it make if the windows are slightly out of square for the screens? Screens shouldn't have much trouble flexing slightly to fit an out of square opening....

If the windows were installed out of SQ then they shouldnt operate correctly. Was the installation contractor a HD subcontractor or did you hire them?
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

hey is it an insurance issue ? i hope you have the receipts and if you do, you can show them that