+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Arc Fault Circuit Breaker Reliability

Does anyone here use Arc Fault circuit breakers?

I am going to be replacing a sub-panel box and wanted to use arc fault circuit breakers, but from the reviews on home depot and loews I am concerned about their reliability. More than one person has complained that they only last around two years and then they go bad, and at over 40 bucks a pop (I'll need 8 which would be 320.00). That's a bit too costly if I have to replace them every couple of years.

Anyone else seeing short life time on these circuit breakers?

Default Re: Arc Fault Circuit Breaker Reliability

i installed them in my house 5-6 years ago and haven't had one issue, nor have i heard of anyone having any. stop by your local electrical supply house and ask them, they can give you a better answer than an electrician.

The last time I installed AFC they tripped nonstop. They were Square D and over $35 each. The homeowner did what he had to do to get some peace of mind and I didn't know anything about it. After the inspection that is.

Smile Re: Arc Fault Circuit Breaker Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    The last time I installed AFC they tripped nonstop. They were Square D
    Yeah if I get them they definitely won't be from Square D. The most complaints that I've seen are all from Square D.

I've had good results w/ GE
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    I've had good results w/ GE
    Thanks I think I'll either get those or Siemens. My new sub-panel load center will be from GE, but the Siemens AFCI protects 3 ways, and I think the GE only protects two. I will look into this closer because I'd like to keep it all GE if possible. I was just reading a good article about AFCI circuit breakers and they found that Square D had a lot of nuisance tripping. They tested them on a circuit with basically just a coffee maker and the Square D brand always had nuisance tripping. Square D also had to recall there's because of defects before, so I don't trust that brand anymore. I will install either the GE or the Siemens both upstairs on the sub-panel and downstairs on the main panel and hopefully they won't cause any problems

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    i installed them in my house 5-6 years ago and haven't had one issue
    THANKS MLB Construction, do you know what brand they are?