+ Reply to Thread

Question laminate counter rolls up to be backsplash

Hi - I am planning to replace my kitchen counters with quartz stone. The problem: House was built in 1992, and laminate was put on counters and rolled up to be the backsplash, too. How can I remove this without ripping out the drywall ? It appears to go up under the upper cabinets for about 1/4 - 1/2 inch. If I have to replace the drywall, what would the typical cost be or what should it cover ? I live in Louisiana. Thank you for any help/advice - !!

Default Re: laminate counter rolls up to be backsplash

I think that when you remove the counter top/backsplash the dry wall will crumble. That's OK, just get it out at the same time. Re-drywalling is easy - this area will be covered so perfection is not needed here. Also this will give you a chance to inspect the framing and to improve your electrical - maybe add receptacles and a circuit breaker.
    Cost? it varies, you'll need estimates from local handymen.

The cost of materials for the drywall will be insignificant -- likely less than $50. For the area you will be doing, the cost of labor shouldn't be very much; probably less than $500.

I do agree with DJ; this is the best time to upgrade the electrical. I recommend at least two duplex receptacles for each section of counter. This will accommodate parked appliances (toaster, coffee maker) and still leave outlets free for portable appliances. Having a spot to plug in a night light is nice, too. Since heating appliances (coffee makers, electric griddles, waffle irons, toasters, crock pots, etc.) only have a 2 foot cord, receptacles shouldn't be more than about 3 feet apart, or there will be places you simply can't use them!

Code requires a minimum of two 20A "small appliance" circuits in the kitchen. In addition to that, I recommend dedicated circuits for microwave hood, refrigerator, and disposer, even though it's not required since they are cord-and-plug connected. A toaster and microwave on the same circuit could overload it, causing the breaker to trip. Built-in appliances like dishwashers are required to be on dedicated circuits.

Don't forget the light over the sink.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Had no idea about this. Thanx for sharing this info