+ Reply to Thread

Default can builder-built continuous kitchen cabinets be updated?

Modern cabinets are a series of joined boxes with doors. My old cabinets are not boxes at all but a built-in-place run of shelves; how to explain; it is like one huge long box-sort of like one huge long cupboard internally but subdivided on the outside with multiple doors but pots etc can be moved back and forth between "cupboards" by just sliding them from left/behind door one/cupboard one, to the right behind door two/cupboard two. The old doors are very wide and old-fashioned. Can I just replace them with newer, more modern, more narrow doors, or do I have to rip out the entire builder built structure and replace it with separate/joined boxes if I want new doors? The downside to ripping them out is that new boxes which I could afford are all flimsy wood product while the current builder-built arrangement is solid wood. Any advice welcome.

Default Re: can builder-built continuous kitchen cabinets be updated?

Does it really need doors?

You could just take them off and have open storage. If you have stuff you want to hide you could use woven baskets on part of the shelves.

You can also find roll out bins on line that could be installed.

Or convert to deep drawers (what I want!).

Yes, you can update your built in place cabinets.

You can simply buy new doors or you can have the face frames overlaid as well which will freshen and change the look of the whole kitchen.

There are companies that specialize in cabinet update/restoration who can measure and order doors for you or anything else you need. Consult your local phone book.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

thanks to both queen60 and A.Spruce. Yes, I will use a couple of baskets but need something more durable for the majority of cupboards, so I am glad to hear that I can just get new doors and they can be made to fit. Now that I think about what you said I can see I should have realised this before - it's a matter of visualizing it for someone not used to seeing furniture in 3d. Thanks to you both.

If you have the face frames replaced you can completely reconfigure the cabinets. You can even add dividers and drawer units. And buy replaceing the face frame it can be built to accommodate more standard sized doors.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb