+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Decks

Default Decks

Looking to replace an old deck that has a southern exposure with the most maintenance free materials available. Not opposed to some maintenance but at 74 I'm thinking every 4 yrs. or more.
    I'm thinking the answer may not be composites due to UV deterioration. Perhaps a combination of the right type of wood with the right type of primer and paint. Would appreciate hearing from anyone with a good idea or who's had a similar experience.

Default Re: Decks

We've had discussions about this subject before and we ended up agreeing not to agree.

My preference: pressure treated posts, pressure treated hanger/ledger/header/beams/joists and REDWOOD planks for the top deck (good side up). Use deck screws and bolts for fasteners. Stain it according to instructions.

I'll agree with that

Are you willing to sell your old deck?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrymontana View Post
    Are you willing to sell your old deck?
    I have an old 12x20 deck I can sell you. It's about 25 years old, but it looks new. Could be older, I'm not sure, but can't be older than 50.

You must come here, dismentle it and haul away, but delivery is optional. Make you best cash offer as long as it's over $2,500 (all old bolts and screws come with it at no extra charge!).

Oh, I almost forgot: it's 100% redwood.