+ Reply to Thread

Question Fastening (Temporarily) to Brick Walls

I recently moved into an old red brick building and have hung a couple heavy items--a flat-screen TV and a cabinet full of paint, solvents, and other liquids--on the brick walls. (In one case the brick was exposed; in another, it had been covered with drywall.) From what I've read, a pro would probably use a metal sleeve anchor in these cases, but I used Tapcon screws, since I'll need to remove the fixtures when I vacate. Confast provides weight ratings for concrete and hollow block, both of which are more than adequate for my purposes, but they don't have numbers for brick. Also, I noticed that the cabinet isn't airtight against the wall at all screw locations (i.e. I can squeeze a stiff putty knife back there). Do y'all think I'm okay with the Tapcon screws? Or should I replace them with sleeve anchors, drill the holes extra deep, and then push the anchors into the wall when I leave? Any other advice on fastening to brick?

Default Re: Fastening (Temporarily) to Brick Walls

The tapcons should be fine in the brick but I would recommend switching to the sleeved anchor. Especially if you are hanging something expensive or dangerous like you are.. Make sure that they are not drilled into the mortar. They should be through the brick body itself only.

If you go with the anchors instead of tapcons that will give you an idea of a weight rating as well. That would make me feel a lot better about my hangings. The weight ratings for concrete/masonry/brick should be fairly comparable.