+ Reply to Thread

Default Paneling garage interior when you don't have time to really salvage?

I’m converting a 1940’s garage into a study/guest house, and would appreciate ideas for creating a rustic, antique-looking wall treatment that’s lower cost. The space is about 25’ X 14’

I thought I would glue solid foam insulation between the (now) exposed studs, then attach what looks like planks over that. (To really cobble 2'X4's (?) all over the walls like I think they used to would be costly.)

I never thought I'd be asking a cheesy question like this, but is plywood ripped into strips the way to go? They probably wouldn’t give much of an appearance of thickness…which is partly what seems to give those old types of boarded-up walls a chunky, industrial look.

Here’s two inspiration pictures. The 2nd is what I’d really like (the back wall with the window) but the wider, more paneled look in the top one would be okay, too.

Thanks for any ideas! I’ve done light carpentry around the house and replastering, but this is the first self-contained space I’ll be doing a (basically cosmetic) remodel on.

Last edited by California_Cookie; 12-22-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Default Re: Paneling garage interior when you don't have time to really salvage?

Building codes generally require insulation be covered with drywall first for fire safety.
    T-111 plywood might give you the appearance you want for a price that is relatively cheap.
    1 x 10 or 12 boards seems to be more what you are looking for.
    1 x with battens looks rustic too.
    2 x 4's seems like a waste of material & they generally aren't used as a finish material because they aren't milled for finish work, have defects, twisted, little grain & color, not to mention the stamps.

Default Re: Paneling garage interior when you don't have time to really salvage?

I think I may have PM-ed you a thank you when you answered about this, Ed...hope I did.

Yours is very useful info and I'll look at those types and sizes

: )

This is how it ended up looking, BTW. It veered away from original design due to available materials.

With help from seemingly tireless friend, I insulated and sheetrocked existing redwood shed, as suggested here, and then found unopened packages of 1970's paneling (narrower than I wanted) at the salvage yard, which was enough to go halfway up the walls. It looked too cold with the original all-white theme, so I choose a cream color for wainscoting, trim and ceiling (Eidelweiss 522-2 by Pittsburgh Paints) and a silver blue called DKC-37 (Donald Kaufman Color) for the sheetrock.

I also found some salvaged "Bavarian" trim I think was intended for exterior use, and put that all the way around as a cornice.
    Last edited by California_Cookie; 12-06-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Nice job, thanks for the update.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Couldn't see pics, but it sounds like you did a good job. Using recycled materials and working with what is available can really add character to an existing building.

It's the nicest garage ever. Your car is so lucky.

Thank you.

It's not really a garage as I stated in OP...it was more of a mysterious outbuilding with real window and door. It seems strange to call it a "shed"...but I guess it was a BIG shed. I have wanted to go to city hall to look at the original permits, to see what it was called.

It had a cement foundation we covered with Visquine (sp?) and an insulated sleeper floor (sadly...not exactly LEVEL!) Then we insulated, sheetrocked and wainscoted, and built two little closets with a small storage loft above. Also paid someone to do some rewiring...as that stuff can make your house explode!

I created a (I must say) somewhat brilliant design by which there's a floating "box" attached to the wall (made from sections of an old maple table) that's suspended between the closets, and about 6" deep. The bed is pushed under this during the day, and the box gives better, closer back support when it's a couch, while also providing a place for drinks, ashtrays, books, an alarm clock etc. Then at night the bed is pulled out clear from under the box on the wall, the pillows come off, and there's more of the mattress to sleep on.

Will try to insert pics: (Floor isn't really THAT Titanic-like slanted! Is the perspective and camera angle!)

This backrest was also necessary because there's an intruding part of the cement foundation along the wall and floor back there, a few inches deep, which you can see in Pic 1. The bed platform isn't supported by 4 legs, but more along the centerline of its length...so it can go up flush with the wall but has clearance underneath around the edges. This way there's no loss of floor space.

PS: Those green drawers under the bed aren't the support system...I just stashed them there for a while.
    Last edited by California_Cookie; 12-06-2013 at 06:51 PM.