+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resizing a pond

Default Resizing a pond

Okay, I don't really have a good idea how to go about this but i have some inkling...
    My family bought this property yeeears ago with a big ol man made catfish pond in the backyard. Over the years it lost its fish due to snappers and other predators and dries up quite a bit probably from the muskrat families that come and go. It is a huge pond with no linings, no rock bottom, tons of weeds etc. We'd like to cut down the size to a small pond but how would you start to go about that?
    I'm open to all suggestions/ reading material etc. We also don't have tons of money to pour into this project so cheaper ideas are much appreciated although everything costs an arm and a leg these days.

Default Re: Resizing a pond

What kind of equipment do you have at your disposal for the job?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have a friend with some excavation equipment not sure all he has but definitely a mini digger and i have a dump truck if i need to bring in rocks or dirt.

I would use the digger to clean out the area you want to keep, using the removed material as backfill in the areas you do not want to keep. Use caution that you don't damage any control valves that may be in place for controlling water flow into or out of the pond.

Obviously you will be filling over water and mud, which means that the stability of the overfill will be compromised until the ground dries out. That means that you won't be able to back a truck or use heavy equipment on the filled areas without EXTREME caution, lest ye sink to the axles.

You can probably scare up enough fill from in and around the pond to backfill the areas you don't want, again, use caution not to change or damage inlets or outlets to the pond.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!