+ Reply to Thread

Default How big can nails be in a nail gun?

In videos, I've seen them used for finishing work (attaching trim, etc) but am wondering how big the nails can potentially be.

Any thoughts appreciated...

Default Re: How big can nails be in a nail gun?

With the finish guns I'm familiar with: 18 ga. tops out at 2", 16 ga. at 2.5" and 15ga at 2.5".
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

The gun I have takes 3" with ease, not sure if it takes larger. But that ain't no finish nail.

Pin nailers shoot very small nails. My finish nailer takes 1" to 2.5"

It depends on the gun

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    The gun I have takes 3" with ease, not sure if it takes larger. But that ain't no finish nail.
    That is very exciting! So there are bigger nail guns out there that take bigger nails. Nice!

There are pin nailers, finish nailers, roofing nailers, and framing nailers. You need to chose the one you need based on the job it is to do.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

don't forget the staplers too.

Great for upholstery and thin plywoods

It all depends on the nailgun (different models for different types and sizes). You can go all the way from a 3/4" long pin nailer (maybe shorter?) up to 3" long framing nails (maybe longer?).

I doubt you'll find a nailgun that can shoot railroad spikes. If you could find one, you probably couldn't lift it, and you'd probably need more than a pancake compressor to power it.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Most framers will handle a 31/2" Years ago I used one that shot a 4", heavy and fatiguing.

"That is very exciting"... exactly what do you have in mind doing with this high caliber nail gun?

Years ago, I worked in shop in run down district, at break time we'd drag hoses and guns out behind shop and shoot at rats. Somebody drove a 3" nail half way into one, everybody cheered, but it just made rat mad. It charged right at us. We made hasty retreat under covering fire.

23 gauge headless pinners shoot 1/2" up to 2" depending on model, only the Cadex will shoot 2"

18 gauge shoots 5/8 to 2"
    16 and 15 both shoot a max of 2 1/2"

most framing guns max out at 3 1/4 however a select few can shoot a 3 1/2" but finding gun nails that size are near impossible

bostich recently came out with a timberframers gun that shoots 6" spikes but its massive and requires a ton of air, to use it you pretty much have to have a wheelbarrow style air pig with either 3/8" or 1/2" hose. its a very rare gun and costs a huge chunk of change

as for high caliper. makita and max air both have nailers and compressors that run at high pressure. makita has coil nailers and framing guns for it which run at a max of 270 psi. one coil nailer and a 6 gallon twin tank compressor runs $1200 compared to $350 for the pig and $380 for a regular coil nailer
    fire up the saw and make some dust