+ Reply to Thread

Default Water damage to hardwood floors

We took out the carpets when we bought our brick 1956 ranch house only to discover active water damage to the hardwood floors. In several places, some near the edges of the floor and some in the middle of the floor, the boards are wet. There is no leak in the roof or from the plumbing, and the walls are not damaged. The wet spots are present even on dry days. We've consulted several contractors, a floor expert and a plumber and all say they've never seen this issue before. Help, we don't know what to do next.

Default Re: Water damage to hardwood floors

First, if a plumber, a floor expert and a few contractors who SAW the floor could not give you an answer, how can we, sitting by our computers, know the answer?

Looks like the floor is lost, but before you re-floor, you need to make sure your problem is solved.

Yes, clearly I have to identify the problem and fix it before I can patch and refinish the floors. I was hoping someone may have encountered this problem before and recognize it, or at least suggest what I should look for. I really don't know what else to do at this point except ask for help and hope someone on this blog can give me a clue that will lead me in the right direction. I would post pictures if I could.

Is the water damage near a shower or bathroom? Clothes washer? Dish washer? Have an incontinent pet or lazy teenager?

No, no, no, no, no and no. The damage is in the living room and the dining room where there aren't any water outlets and our dog doesn't have access to the dining room. Some of the damage is close to windows but some damage is in the middle of the floor. The windows don't seem to be leaking and how wet the spots are is not related to rain. It's quite puzzling.

How long ago did you buy the house?
    Recently?
    If so, maybe the seller was hiding some relevant facts?
    Call the seller and get answers.
    Maybe see him and his broker in court?

Question Re: Water damage to hardwood floors

I doubt the sellers knew about the damage as it was under the carpet and there were no signs of a problem on the walls or ceiling. I should add that there isn't any water in the basement or crawl spaces under the damaged floor. So, the question is, where is the water coming from?

I don't know if this will help, but pee stains will, on humid days, pull moisture from the air because the salt portion of the stain is hygroscopic. So they will look and feel wet under the right climatic conditions. Not wet like sopping, but quite damp.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

If there are pee stains they are old ones. If you're correct, if we replace the affected boards the problem shouldn't come back. Maybe we could just replace one or two boards and see if it fixes the problem. Thanks for your input.

That's strange problem you have. No water outlets or anything near and still some part of the floor are wet.