+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bathroom window

Default Bathroom window

My house is 18 years old, I have a window behind my tub which is separate from the shower. The window is double pane, however the window has broken now 2 times and replaced. It lasts about 4 years. Only the bottom pane breaks and one panel of it, so I'm still able to leave the window in place. Can the breakage be caused by steam from the shower? I live in VA.

Default Re: Bathroom window

it is definitely possible that the window can break from the change in temperature. on a cold winter's morning when the glass get's hit with hot water, the sudden change in temperature can crack the glass. alot like taking a glass out of the dishwasher while it's still hot and running it under cold water. this is much less likely to happen if the glass is tempered. also, any window over a tub, by code, must have tempered glass. that should solve your problem

I'd be more concerned about the waterproofing of the window sill.

Go for tempered glass.

Living in Va. i would say it would be more likely to have cold water hitting hot glass to cause it to crack.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Smile Re: Bathroom window

I think hanging a plastic curtain in your window can absorb the heat of the shower.

Default Bathroom window

Hello friends i think this is not a big problem and Grow Landscapes providing residential and commercial landscaping, garden design and grounds maintenance services in Northern Virginia, Maryland & Washington DC.

Quote Originally Posted by kishna15 View Post
    I think hanging a plastic curtain in your window can absorb the heat of the shower.
    I too think this one is the perfect to avoid from the further breakage of the window glass as this will definitely prevent the glass from sudden compression and expansion just because of heat and no breakage at all.