+ Reply to Thread

Default Pondless Waterfall & Stream Project

We have been kicking around how to incorporate a water feature in our landscaping. After a couple years of looking, planning and stalling we started our pondless waterfall and stream a couple weeks ago.

The waterfall is two tiered and about 24" tall, the stream is about 40' long and ends at a basin that is about 5' x 8' x 3' deep (~500gal). The basin is filled with crates to take up space and create a rock free space to hold the water supply. The crates are then covered with rocks.

A pump sends the water from the basin up to the falls via 2" pvc that is regulated via a ball valve at the falls. There is also a midstream waterfall "t"'ed off the supply to ease the pressure on the pump from turning down the ball valve at the upper falls. The midstream falls also has a ball valve to regulate flow.

We chose 1-3 Gray River Rock for the stream & basin area, it took about 2 tons to adequately cover. We collected the larger rocks from our property, probably will use about 2 ton of those as well. We will also use about 2 ton of smaller rock over weed block as ground cover & pathway in the areas around the stream bed.

I included a link to a photo album rather than try to upload the pics.

http://forum.aquascapeinc.com/album.php?albumid=58

It is not finished yet, maybe another two weeks of working on it depending on how much the real hot weather delays things.
    Last edited by bp21901; 07-16-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Default Re: Pondless Waterfall & Stream Project

Got some more of the bigger rocks placed around the waterfall this past week. I expect to get the ground cover / border rock down this weekend. It will be smaller size so it is easier to walk on than the 1-3 river rock and a uniform reddish color. I think we will get a 1/2 ton of larger rock to mix in with the river rock to break up the uniformity.

I hope to get started on shaping the burm at the pondless end and getting the flat slate stacked to form that retaining wall down there. I need to build in a spillway there so heavy rain will not overfill that end. That will probably take next week to complete.

Then will come the plants and foot bridge to finish it off. Updated pics are on the link above. Someone asked about the pump size, it is a Aquasurge 5000 gph. The pump curve indicates about 3900 gph due to waterfall height and fittings in the pipeline. It provides a very good waterfall volume and stream flow rate.
    Last edited by bp21901; 07-20-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Default Re: Pondless Waterfall & Stream Project

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    We have been kicking around how to incorporate a water feature in our landscaping. After a couple years of looking, planning and stalling we started our pondless waterfall and stream a couple weeks ago.

The waterfall is two tiered and about 24" tall, the stream is about 40' long and ends at a basin that is about 5' x 8' x 3' deep (~500gal). The basin is filled with crates to take up space and create a rock free space to hold the water supply. The crates are then covered with rocks.

A pump sends the water from the basin up to the falls via 2" pvc that is regulated via a ball valve at the falls. There is also a midstream waterfall "t"'ed off the supply to ease the pressure on the pump from turning down the ball valve at the upper falls. The midstream falls also has a ball valve to regulate flow.

We chose 1-3 Gray River Rock for the stream & basin area, it took about 2 tons to adequately cover. We collected the larger rocks from our property, probably will use about 2 ton of those as well. We will also use about 2 ton of smaller rock over weed block as ground cover & pathway in the areas around the stream bed.

I included a link to a photo album rather than try to upload the pics.

It is not finished yet, maybe another two weeks of working on it depending on how much the real hot weather delays things.
    great progress so far. would love the see the finished product