+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default How to clean large area of Pavers

Hi, I have a property/home where just about the WHOLE property is comprised of paver stones (roughly 100' x 35' with a home). Over the years, these originally "red" colored pavers have become dingy, dirty and more grey looking and from a distance, it's difficult to distinguish the paver from the seams. I wanted to try to clean these up. I'm not crazy about powerwashing for it would only do a very small area at a time and I don't want to gouge out the sand in the seams. I was thinking or wondering if there is some sort of orbital sander/polisher that could be used with a scouring pad, etc. I'd rather not get into any real caustic chemicals. Any ideas? Thanks

Default Re: How to clean large area of Pavers

There is an attachment for a power washer called a "hydroscrubber"

they make a power broom which resembles a weedwacker. maybe wetting the pavers, some muriatic acid and the power broom might work.

A. Spruce is an expert in steam washing/cleaning. Wait for him to offer his 2 cents of advice.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    A. Spruce is an expert in steam washing/cleaning. Wait for him to offer his 2 cents of advice.
    LOL what are you saying, that I'm full of hot air?

I would agree that steam might be a good option, but this would be a rental because there is no affordable homeowner version that could handle that kind of surface area. I mean, you could, but being on your hands and knees with a 1" nylon scrubber tip on the steamer is going to get old REALLY quick!

I'm not familiar enough with commercial/trailer mounted rental steamers if it's a pressure washer type set up or not, a little research should tell you. If it's a pressure washer type system, then you'll have a similar issue with it blowing the sand from between the pavers.

What you may be relegated doing would be to use something like a deck wash or TSP solution and a scrub brush on a broom handle to scrub the solution into the surface of the pavers, then rinse it down.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I know pavers and what I'm afraid of is that all treatments will damage them.

The thing is that pavers 'weather' thru the years, so it's something that most homeowners learn to accept.

One last suggestion:
    I've cleaned mold and mildew off roofs with 100% bleach, using a regular garden sprayer. I got results in 20 minutes.
    Do you want to try it on your pavers?

A product that I have used for literally 30 years is JOMAX. A quart of Jomax is combined with 3 quarts of bleach and 4 gallons of water to make 5 gallons of solution. It is a detergent, a bleach activator and mildicide. When used, black mildew and green algae will disappear before your eyes. It is relatively mild. It has never damaged surrounding plants etc. when I have used it. I use this product evey spring to clean the gunk off my exposed aggragate patio here in Portland where algae is the State Plant I simply flush the solution away with a brisk power washing.

Another product which might be useful is Behr's All In One Deck Cleaner. This is basically oxalic acid with enzymes as cleaners. It is an excellant concrete cleaner. I discovered this by accident, having spilled the solution on my driveway while using it to clean my cedar fencing. The spilled on area looked like new! So I just did the rest of the driveway. It also did a great job of removing the rust spots from the sidewalk where I stupidly did not get the iron containing fertilizer pellets off the walkway.

After a thorough cleaning, I don't know why the pavers could not be treated with concrete stain to return some of the color.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    One last suggestion:
    I've cleaned mold and mildew off roofs with 100% bleach, using a regular garden sprayer. I got results in 20 minutes.
    My pitched (shingle) roof has some mildew which is deemed not damaging, but causes the roof to have different shades of black.

As the sole family money earner, I don't want to climb the roof and servces in No. Va (big government & wealth) is very expensive, and this looks like something I can handle if I had directions.

My questions: what cleaner should I use, and how to use it so it doesn't damge plants/trees/soil.

I saw a "safe" cleaner in costco for about $30 but it wasn't clear to me to how to use it on a roof.

My downspouts are tied into the ground somehow, so when I rinse off the cleaner, the mildew & cleaner waste water will get into the ground.

Any thoughts ?

Use bleach, don't add water.
    Use a gallon size spray pump, spray on the affected area. Don't soak the shingles and don't let the bleach run.
    One gallon (about a dollar) will treat a square (100sf). Can you handle that?
    Wait 20 minutes and say "that was easy". Don't rinse.
    A good project for this weekend.
    Last edited by dj1; 08-31-2012 at 11:01 PM.