+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Updating suggestions for a (old) new house

Hello! Me and my husband just bought our very first home! While we are very excited this 1960's home needs some updating!! Among other things its in an awesome area for the kids and right by the lake AND...on a dead end! We liked that this house was different and unique looking (as are we) but its making it hard to find ideas for the outside of the house! As for the inside we will slowly work on the kitchen and bathroom but we want to add some curb apeal to the home! to make it look not so "blah" Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! want to make this house look up to date and eye catching! Just had a new roof put on! Everything down wed love suggestions on! Thanks

Here is the picture:
    http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...edownload1.jpg

Default Re: Updating suggestions for a (old) new house

Hi,

You can start with your driveway. At least a new coat of driveway black jack after you take care of the weed growing in it.
    Best is a new concrete driveway, and concrete driveways come in various finishes from affordable to expensive.

The cheapest and easiest things to do are paint and colors pots in the landscape. I would think about adding shutters to the windows and possibly doing away with the dated awnings. Shade screens outside and d****s inside will protect those windows from excessive sun. I would also recommend some specimen trees that will get large enough to shade this side of the house if that is the issue.

Freshening the driveway would perk things up too, though not nearly as much as some color.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the advice guys! Definitely will fix the driveway that's one of the first things you notice! The awnings on the windows make it looks more outdated and will do away with those! Any colos schemes you guys suggest that would look nice for the house/trim/shutters? And I'm
    Confused what is d****s? Trees would definitely be a nice touch- any suggestions on any? I guess I will have to look into gardening the side of the house and right up front have been well maintained as far as flowers and plants but all of trees in front, the back and side yard however are all trees!

Quote Originally Posted by Miszintegra View Post
    Confused what is d****s?
    That should have read "dra-pes" (no hyphen ). The language filter sees the asterisks portion as a bad word. Same thing happens when you type on-line and a few other very common, non-bad words. The work around, as you see here, is to add a hyphen if you catch it.

Tree types, I really can't say, they're all big green leafy things to me, unless they have needles, then needles-s to say I'm equally unhelpful!

As for house colors, I would recommend visiting a few paint dealers for color brochures that have complimentary colors with pictures of the finished product to give you an idea of what your home will look like. Current paint schemes usually include three colors, but having at least two with a fair amount of contrast will brighten the look.

By adding trim around the windows, either by trim itself or by the use of shutters will give you more color contrasts and interest.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

How about a garage door with windows on the top row? And a walk-in door to match.

Question Re: Updating suggestions for a (old) new house

I will definitely go get some color scheme samples and ask for some assistant in finding the right ones since I'm pretty indecisive. Maybe tans and a pop of color for the door which is definitely a goner right away! That door actually leads to the garage but since it's the one in front of the house it needs to be nice. The garage door is a great idea since its so plane jane to add some character to the house! You all are such great help really appreciate it!

With a three color pallet, you can paint the garage door and man door a different color from the house and trim. Very common now days.

that's the route I think we will go! But then what color would the shutters be out of the three and do you do the trim and shutters the same color?

that's the route I think we will go! But then what color would the shutters be out of the three (there's a darker color then a lighter then a "pop" color like red for example) and what about the trim around the windows and roof? I tried finding some examples ****** but didn't see much of what I was invisioning- a sand color a creame then a dark red. Oh and would you think doing all 3 windows with shudders? (there's a window behind that tree on the bottom right) I never realized how much thought would have to go into all of this! But it'll be so well worth it when it's all finished!