+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default Paiting new outdoor shutters

    My dad made us new outdoor shutters out of cypress. What is the best way to paint these? Brush/spray? Prime? I don't want to have to sc****/sand/re-paint them for quite some time. Oh- and there are 54 of them!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,081

    Default Re: Paiting new outdoor shutters

    Sand, prime and spray paint.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    US
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Paiting new outdoor shutters

    Spray paint would be good i guess.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Paiting new outdoor shutters

    Use spray paint. Easy and effective.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tacoma WA
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: Paiting new outdoor shutters

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieraines View Post
    Use spray paint. Easy and effective.
    Spray paint??? Come on guys. Other than the fact that there 54 shutters, at one to two cans of paint to a shutter at $5.00 a can. The paint in a spray can is to brittle to hold up to the expansion and contraction of shutters. Do the math it is cheaper to rent a sprayer and do it right.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,081

    Default Re: Paiting new outdoor shutters

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma John View Post
    Spray paint??? Come on guys. Other than the fact that there 54 shutters, at one to two cans of paint to a shutter at $5.00 a can. The paint in a spray can is to brittle to hold up to the expansion and contraction of shutters. Do the math it is cheaper to rent a sprayer and do it right.
    Tacoma, who said anything about cans? "spray paint" means exactly what it sounds: use a sprayer to spray the paint.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,480

    Default Re: Paiting new outdoor shutters

    Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Tacoma, who said anything about cans? "spray paint" means exactly what it sounds: use a sprayer to spray the paint.
    That's where I went too, but I won't pass up a chance to pick on TJ!

    But just in case the original poster wasn't clear on our meaning of "spray paint", yes, we all meant using an airless sprayer system to apply standard exterior house paint to the shutters.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fayette County, Ohio
    Posts
    5,557

    Default Re: Paiting new outdoor shutters

    One step they skipped, you need to apply a stain blocking primer first.

    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,480

    Default Re: Paiting new outdoor shutters

    Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    One step they skipped, you need to apply a stain blocking primer first.

    Jack
    We'll meet you in the middle, dj1 did say to prime, he just neglected to include the "stain blocking" part. we're not moderators, we're not expected to know as much as you.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fayette County, Ohio
    Posts
    5,557

    Default Re: Paiting new outdoor shutters

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    We'll meet you in the middle, dj1 did say to prime, he just neglected to include the "stain blocking" part. we're not moderators, we're not expected to know as much as you.
    Cypress contains a lot of tannin and will bleed through if you don't use a stain blocker and the OP said he didn't want to do it again.

    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •