+ Reply to Thread

Default flashing a log cabin

Hello-
    I am trying to help restore a 1930s log cabin with hand hewn logs with a mortar chinking/daubing. We would like to replace the existing asphalt shingle roof with either cedar or Enviroshakes. I am wondering how to flash the end walls? Because of the irregular surface of the logs and daubing, is there a proper way to flash without cutting into the logs? Thank you for your suggestions.

Default Re: flashing a log cabin

You need to get the mortar out of the logs, if it is mortar. Old fashioned chinking was a mixture of horse hair, pig tallow and clay or some other but similar recipe. Mortar is too solid and hold too much moisture. Modern silicone base chinking compounds are far superior.

I'm guessing that your concern is the gable ends where the logs stair step down to the front and back walls. Mine is just covered with a 1x board. Small critters are able to get into the attic and knee walls, but that life.

You can use a screen or hardware cloth to cover the gaps first to keep critters out, that is my plan for when I replace the trim.

Otherwise, flashing is done the same on a log home as it is done on any other house.

In the old days, chinking was mud and straw, newspapers, oakum or mortar. Today they use synthetic chinking. Modern chinking is a combination of latex based materials and sand. This combination creates a strong, flexible bond between the logs.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Check out this forum, you will get opinions and information from people with a lot of experience.

http://www.loghomeu.com/forum
    Last edited by keith3267; 08-29-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling