+ Reply to Thread

Default Very wrong way to build an addition

In the cellar of my recently aquired 1915 farm house, I noticed some light shining through across a crawl space, investigated today to find that the foundation sits about 6"-8" lower than the joists, there is no sill plate, the foundation sits lower than the rest of the house in fact its in the dirt (this is partially due to dirt/gravel being added on this side). I plan on grading down along it to help but not sure how to go about redoing the bottom of this wall and redoing the foundation. Oh, best part its my kitchen so having out of service for renovations is gonna suck! I have pictures when I figure how to post them, yo oughta get kick out of em.

Default Re: Very wrong way to build an addition

You need at least 10 posts to your credit to add pics. you'll also have to host them off-site and link them here. It's a pain, but that is the way TOH has set the site up.

Will need pics to clarify what you're describing before commenting on possible cures.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You can e-mail pictures to me and I'll pot them.
    jackson_l_mcdaniel@yahoo.com Include "TOH Pics" in the subject line and include your user name in the e-mail

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

More investigating shows that the stud sit on the foundation, no fastener with the joists hung from them higher up. on of the studs is rotted and broken so its tipping off the foundation, some genius had it held with wire twised with a dowel to bring it up a ways. Still trying to get a good look at where the addition foundation meets the original to see what height difference i'm working with, the 12"+ of gravel added along the side in question as well as a really bad sidewalk against the house are making this a real pain. Hopefully grading and framing can save this but i'm still contemplating how to make the addtion foundation sit at same height as the original, suggestions would help.
    Last edited by HotrodSmurf; 09-01-2012 at 01:37 AM.

No photos?

Sounds like you have serious structual deficiencies. I strongly recommend getting opinions from knowledgable general contractors to assess your situation and to determine on a course of action.

Here are the pictures

And these

It looks to me like someone jacked the house up, perhaps to level it, but just jamed filler in instead of fixing the foundation. My guess is it will require jacking a beam up under the house just behind the foundation and do a foundation replacement,

Jack

I think your right, I got farther in the crawl space today and noticed the foundation slants, it never ties into the original though. I'm thinking the foundation settled and they jacked up the house and added blocks and shims. Theres alway a bright side, we were planning an addition adjacent to this and the kitchen needs redone anyhow, lets just do it right this time!