+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: breaker

Default Re: breaker

Very interesting dj, the Code makes us use the same brand breaker as the panel so, w/ obsolete panels we're left w/ the choice of replacing the panel or finding an obsolete breaker.

Eaton has come out w/ "classified" breakers which they say are OK to use in other mfr. panels but some inspectors don't like that and they're only available up to 50A.

Does your source have a web site you can share?
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Maurice, you read me wrong, I don't mix breakers from different manufactures - most of them won't fit. Zinsco for a Zinsco, Square D for a Square D.

This outlet is called AAA Electronic Equipment, 17646 Sherman Way, Van Nuys, CA 91406 (818)708-1850. No website, but I'm sure they'll take a phone order. I always go there in person to check what I'm getting so I don't have surprises and disappointments.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Breakers jump for a few reasons. Some of them are:

1. Age. It could be too old, and just like an old switch, worn out.
    2. Dirty. The contacts ae dirty.
    3. Overloaded. Too much to bear, so it jumps because that's its job.

Reset it and if it jumps again replace with the same kind from the same mfg.
    Jump? It is Trip. Lets look at your amperage on the breaker first. WHat is used on this line. Any additional appliances added recently? Usually when a breaker goes bad you will not be resetting the circuit until replaced. Check all your appliance for unusual behavior as smell and sound.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Maurice, you read me wrong, I don't mix breakers from different manufactures - most of them won't fit. Zinsco for a Zinsco, Square D for a Square D.

This outlet is called AAA Electronic Equipment, 17646 Sherman Way, Van Nuys, CA 91406 (818)708-1850. No website, but I'm sure they'll take a phone order. I always go there in person to check what I'm getting so I don't have surprises and disappointments.
    Dj I just threw the "classified" thing in there as a possible way to put a new breaker in an old panel, if the correct one could not be found.

Thanks for the info.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content