+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breaker

Default breaker

My breaker jumped . Why would it jump now when it never has before? I know how to reset it. That s the most I know about breakers. When should it be a concern? Could not using too many appliances at same time resolve this concern?

Default Re: breaker

Breakers jump for a few reasons. Some of them are:

1. Age. It could be too old, and just like an old switch, worn out.
    2. Dirty. The contacts ae dirty.
    3. Overloaded. Too much to bear, so it jumps because that's its job.

Reset it and if it jumps again replace with the same kind from the same mfg.

Breakers also trip when the power company is having trouble supplying electric to all the customers and use "brownouts" to keep some power flowing at reduced amperage.

Turn the breaker all the way off then all the way back on. DOn't worry unless it happens again

Good advice all. Also, does the front of the breaker feel warm to the touch after tripping? Which would be another sign of an overloaded circuit or loose stab on the back of the breaker.

I recenty had a 200A breaker tripping w/ only a 94A load. It got real hot (180 deg). Turned out that the stab was black from years of overload and had no tension.

Had to replace the entire backplane of the panel and breaker.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Or it could be a lose connection somewhere in the circuit that has created a high resistant connection.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

How long do breakers last? Is there maintanence to do and what kind? Do they only need replacing when they trip? If I need more power is it only a question of replacing the breaker with one of higher amperage?

Thanks

- There is no set life time to a breaker. A new breaker can last an hour or 50 years.
    - You replace breakers when they go bad.
    - If you need more power you can't just put a larger breaker, unless you change the wiring and in most cases upgrade the panel, a process that requires getting a permit and be done by a licensed electrician.

True dj and they can stand overloads (and being reset) for a long time but just a few direct shorts and the're ready for the trash can.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Maurice,
    I have a source for reconditioned/used breaker in perfect condition, near me. For old panels with expensive breakers (like zinsco), I use breakers that I pick at this place. They work fine and they are half off.

Well, "Jumped" is certainly an unusual word to describe a breaker tripping. But I guess we know what you really mean.

The first thing to do is figure out what all is on that circuit...