+ Reply to Thread

Default Hardwood floors and urine stains

The home we recently purchased has urine stains on the hardwoods, which had been covered in carpet. We know that the previous owners had a dog. When I search the web for remedies, most of the suggestions are to sand and then re-stain the floors. There appear to be very few "cleaning" methods for removing the stains.

Is the conventional wisdom that cleaning just won't work? I'd rather not waste time messing around with cleaning products if the prevailing opinion is that they won't work.

Thanks!

Default Re: Hardwood floors and urine stains

An ammonia stain is not cleanable, it has chemically changed the color of the wood fibers. Only way to remove is to remove wood. Sanding or replacement if stain is too deep.
    OR: stain rest of floor to match. Sand, color with more ammonia (see: fumed oak) or a nut-brown stain.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I agree with S_M. Cleaning won't work, sanding will work on limited damage, but most likely replacement will be necessary. The only trouble with replacement is to find matching wood.
    Good luck.

OR... get a dog and let it pee on the rest of the floor to get it to match....

...similar issue cleaning up after stepdaughter moved out.

Had to sand and refinish floors.

You should contact to any hotel's house keeping employee he can definitely help you out!!