+ Reply to Thread

Default Uh Oh... I Think I Re-installed Vinyl Window Backward

D'Oh!

I removed the 3-pane vinyl window above my kitchen sink for cleaning. Moron that I am, I neglected to keep track of the orientation of the 3 windows.

I put the first one back in (what I thought was the one which lines up with the screen facing the outside) and after pushing it up into the frame I realized that it's oriented wrong. But when I got to lift it up to remove, it won't go. On the one side (the left---which is wrong) it has flanges on the top and bottom which prevent it from pushing up enough to remove it. IOW, it will clear the bottom sill on the right, but not on the left.

OK, is there a -trick- to correcting this which doesn't involve removing the whole vinyl track or frame?

TIA,

---JC

Default Re: Uh Oh... I Think I Re-installed Vinyl Window Backward

If it went in, you should be able to get it out.

Some window tracks allow you to pull the glass panel out only in a certain position. You have to find that position. Then it's a piece of cake.

For any other goofballs in the future. I figured it out using the time-tested technique:

GRAB IN FRUSTRATION AND YANK! Which I got away with because the frame/sill is a lot more durable than an old 'wood' type. And what happened is: there are these little plastic wheels in the bottom of the window... Those wheels were what was preventing the window from coming out.

Apparently the engineers know about guys like me and design the wheels as snap ins. So they pop out under stress instead of breaking something.

So when I yanked, the wheels popped out... the window came free... I popped the wheels back in and thanked Jesus (and the window maker) that nothing was broken... or even scratched.

Whew. Dodged a bullet.

I'm glad it worked for you.