+ Reply to Thread

Default How do I lighten up walls painted too dark?

My college-age daughter recently painted her bathroom a really dark purple which is pretty but way too overpowering. We were trying to think of ways to save the walls without redoing the whole thing. A friend mentioned maybe I could use a sponge with a lighter matching color and blot on for a new trendy look. I'm a little skeptical and wondering if anyone has ever tried this?

Default Re: How do I lighten up walls painted too dark?

You never paint an entire room in a bold color. Use color sparingly and only paint one wall as an accent to the rest of the room.

Sounds like you've got a very dark cave now to contend with. Your friends idea of a lighter and complimentary contrasting color is a good one. You can sponge the color on or use a relatively dry roller with the color in it, this will allow the base color to bleed through, yet still lighten things up.

Your only other choice will be to repaint the room in a lighter color, which should be several shades lighter than what you want the final color to be, because the dark will bleed through.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You didn't say how light you want the walls to be...and if you want it very light, then priming and painting 2 coats of white will get you the results you'll be happy with.
    The method you mentioned will make the walls lighter, but not white. Try it and see what you think.

Thanks! I will probably try rolling on the lighter color over the top for now and let the darker show through. If that doesn't work I can always repaint the whole thing for "plan B". Thank you so much for the advice!

Bullseye primer available at Home Depot is a great product. You can get it tinted to your desired color. Then, use Baier paint+primer in one to paint.

Avoid white and opt for nuetral tone.

Or, turn the room into a man cave.

Quote Originally Posted by daspyda View Post
    Bullseye available at Home Depot is a great product. Then, use Baier paint+primer in one to paint.
    For what the OP is asking about, a BIN primer would be a better choice if he's trying to cover the dark color and prevent bleed through.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!