+ Reply to Thread

Default Putting Refridgerator over hardwood floor-- water line?

Hi,

Would really appreciate some opinions on this--

We are replacing a fridge in a kitchen that has newly finished wood floors. Our current fridge has a copper water line running to it for water/ice maker. It used to have a nylon line, which broke once.

I am very concerned that having this extra water line increases the risk of a burst pipe or leak, leading to wood floor damage. Even though the line is copper, I feel like the fridge-side of the plumbing is still plastic and could crack.

Are there any refrigerators on the market that have well-constructed metal lines for the water and ice maker?

We really do like the water tap on the fridge, so we are stuck with a tough decision here. Is it worth the risk?

Thanks!

Default Re: Putting Refridgerator over hardwood floor-- water line?

This is exactly why wood floor is not a very wise choice for the kitchen. On the other hand, a properly installed copper supply line will last many years.

About the metal tube on the refrigerator: I don't think you will find them, copper is too expensive for companies like GE or Whirlpool, which own over 80% of the name brands. They use plastic tubes and plastic sleeves, and they do rupture.

The plastic lines on the refrigerator are on the other side of there valve. The pressure on these line is almost none existent. When filling the ice tray or a glass of water it is a open line. After filling there electric valve turns the water off to there lines.

John

I have repaired a fridge with a broken plastic tube and sleeve right at the pump. Even with the low pressure they do fail.

Possible pipe failure is a risk we all have to and do take, and in fact leaks happen everyday in various places: kitchens, toilets, pipes, etc.

That's why you have to buy homeowner's insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I have repaired a fridge with a broken plastic tube and sleeve right at the pump. Even with the low pressure they do fail.

Possible pipe failure is a risk we all have to and do take, and in fact leaks happen everyday in various places: kitchens, toilets, pipes, etc.

That's why you have to buy homeowner's insurance.
    That's something I have never seen. A pump on a refrigerator. What would it's purpose be?

John
    Last edited by johnjh2o; 08-25-2012 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    That's something I have never seen. A pump on a refrigerator. What would it's purpose be?

John
    The pump/stopvalve lets water into the icemaker on demand and stops the water when there's no demand. Google "GE fridge pump".
    I've replaced one of those too. A bit expensive, especially on old refrigerators which have no value, except for salvage metal...