+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shower Base

Default Shower Base

What is the best option for a shower stall that does not require tile? The biggest problem we have is the rain location which is very close to the front water dam

Default Re: Shower Base

Can you define 'rain location' ?

Must be a typo...the poster means 'drain'.

The drain can be re-located in most cases. Get a plumber to evaluate your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Must be a typo...the poster means 'drain'.

The drain can be re-located in most cases. Get a plumber to evaluate your situation.
    Even without the typo I don't understand the question.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    Even without the typo I don't understand the question.

John
    The way I understand it: he/she doesn't want tiled base, but acrylic/fiberglass base and right now the existing drain won't fit one of those.

But you never know...

Are you working over a ceement slab or wood framing? First or second floor?

Sorry, it was a typo, "rain" should have been drain. The drain was originally located in its present position due to the floor joists. The drain pipe fits in between 2 structural joists. The Bath is on a 2nd floor and now to get to the existing drain, the subfloor of the bath would need to be removed as pulling down the 1st floor ceiling, under the bath is more involved than what I want to get into, which is what the plumbers are all telling me. Also due to the size and location of the shower, a stock shower base will not work, the base needs to be custom fit into the existing space. Which comes back to the drain location in the shower base…the drain is about 3” from the front water dam of the base, if a drain were placed in this location for a tile application, I cannot properly tile the space between the drain and the water dam to keep the base water tight. I am looking for suggestions as to the next best possible solution, which would be a custom fit, acrylic or other solid surface material that can be used. I cannot find decent reviews for any other options

It seems you are afraid to make your own tiled shower base due to fears of leaking. In my experience, I have seen just as many pre-made pans fail as tiled showers. For a variety of reasons.

If the drain location is the major factor, I suggest you head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum and learn to build your own, perfectly shaped, leak-proof, tile shower base. You'll solve all your problems and save a huge amount of money.

Have no fears, the knowledgeable folks of the JBF have helped many ordinary people build their own tiled showers, including some gen-you-wine wimmin types. Just ask Wendy. We know you can do this.

Worried about leaks from a tile or fiberglass base? install them on top of an old fashion tar shower pan.

This is a disappearing trade, but has been used forever to stop leaks. As long as the drain is plumbed correctly you can be sure about that.

For the price, under $250 depending on the size, you can not get a better insurance.

Tap pans aka Hot mopping is a CA thing and rarely seen anywhere else and probably not to code. Boston still sees copper pans, NYC has Lead pans, Austin TX has fiberglass pans, none of which are to code in my fair city.

The use of a surface membrane such as Kerdi, Hydroban, Hydro barrier, aqua defense, or ardex will get you a leak proof shower.