+ Reply to Thread

Default Refinishing Floors Advice

From all the stuff I've read about refinishing floors, an orbital sander is best for DIY since it's more forgiving and takes less know how to use correctly, unlike belt sanders. I also believe you have to go over the floor 3 times, with 36, 50, and 80 grit paper. Does all this sound right?

Then I just need to decide what finish to use. I want an oil based natural finish since I prefer lighter floors. The floors are oak and I just want a nice amber glow to them.

I've read some people who say you have to lightly sand in between coats of poly, but some people don't mention it. If I do have to sand, can I just do it with regular fine grit paper on a sanding block attatched to a long handle instead of renting an orbital one again. I'm guessing you just have to lightly rough up the poly to make sure each coat sticks.

And finally, when it comes to getting the edges do I have to remove the quarter round or can I get away with leaving it and using an angled brush to get the edges? And should I use natural or syntheic brissel brishes?

Thanks in Advance for all the advice!

Default Re: Refinishing Floors Advice

Drum sander if floor is painted or in dab shape (cupped, gauged, etc)
    Orbital is the easiest and less forgiving for beginners.
    Use a good floor rated poly, my choice is OldMasters, stay away from Minwax.
    I usually, put a thinned coat (1/3 thinner to 2/3 poly) on first to get it to soak into the wood better, then a full strength coat. then lightly sand and clean well before third coat. Same before fourth if needed.
    The OldMasters brand is extremely good at self leveling and dries to a hard finish.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

awesome advice, thanks so much! Would I be able to hand just with regular sand paper or do I need to use an orbital hand sander?

You you can hand sand between coats if you don't mind the work.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb