+ Reply to Thread

Thread: towel rack

Default towel rack

I want to install a towel rack into a stud in bathroom. I have a door to bathroom and on the side of door there is a light- switch, the thermostat, and at botton there is the baseboard heater. Where can I position my towel between all this stuff to mount my towel rack to a stud otherwise it just comes loose .
    I don't want to drill into any electrical wires.

Thanks

Default Re: towel rack

Locate the studs and mount your towel bar into the studs. Most studs are 16 o.c, so you may have to cut your bar.

If the studs fall in undesired spots, you may not be able to use them.

There are good anchors which go into the drywall on the market. They may not be as strong as going into studs, but they'll give you the freedom to mount your bar anywhere you like.

With the right anchor, you should not have a problem with the towel rack becoming loose, that is, as long as you're using the towel rack as a towel rack and NOT trying to use it as a grab bar to get in and out of the shower with. This is the #1 reason that towel racks fail, and can lead to serious injury. If you need an assistance bar, then you must go with a ADA approved grab bar that is installed into the studs.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Grab bars are a different story all together. They can't be secured by anchors, toggle bolts, nails or whatever. They must be driven into the house framing.

If needed, beefed up framing must be installed before the grab bars.

BTW, I think that every shower should have grab bars.

Are there studs around a door or near a light-switch that I can use to install the towel rack! Is an electric heater baseboard
    mounted to a stud! Need a clue to locate where this mysterious stud is!

Thanks for helping

To find studs, you can use a stud finder - a device that beeps when placed in front of a stud.
    You can also use common sense: most receptacles are attached to studs.