+ Reply to Thread

Default Are vent-free fireplace units insulated?

Anybody know? Are vent-free gas log fireplace units insulated, or are they a big heat loser when not in operation?

Default Re: Are vent-free fireplace units insulated?

It depeneds on the unit. Remove a side panel to find out. make sure you know how to put it back.
    My guess is no.

There is no heat loss when not in use. Vented units on the other hand does have some heat loss.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack,
    How can there be "no loss"? Even if its well insulated there will be some loss. I guess I am asking if these units are normally insulated and to what R value. My units are flush mounted with the inside surface of the outside walls of my house, and project outside in bricked in cavities, so I can't get to them to remove a panel.

If you know the manufacture of the unit and the model you can check on line for the specs. Generally speaking is it is a direct contact unit it is well insulated. With most unvented units the heat has no where to go but out into the room.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb