+ Reply to Thread

Default 2 coats of exterior paint on every interior wall in new home

The painting contactor hired by our general contractor mistakenly painted every room in our new home with two coats of exterior paint. They then painted over it with two coats of interior paint before we were made aware of it. Two questions: what is the health risk of that much exterior paint in every room of our home (we have three young children), and second how do they fix the problem? The paint strips right down the wall all the way to the drywall like a piece of plastic coming off.

Default Re: 2 coats of exterior paint on every interior wall in new home

I am not a painter and don't know much about paint, But I would contact the manufacture of each paint product and ask for the recommended corrective action that should be taken based on products used.
    Get it in writing with the manufactures letter Head.
    Signed and dated.

Whatever you do, DO NOT pay your contractor until this issue is resolved. The only leverage you have is with your checkbook!

Sounds like the paint was not allowed to dry enough between coats, then with multiple layers like that, it can't cure properly and is peeling off in sheets. The correction will be to either remove the layers of paint and fix the damage done to the walls in the process, or to install new drywall, neither of which the contractor is going to want to do.

Get everything that you are told will be done in writing, then watch that it actually happens accordingly. Pay for the work ONLY when you are satisfied with the results.

This is a very touchy situation for both sides, so please try to be reasonable with your contractor in finding a resolution, as long as he's being reasonable and fair with you. If not, then the only resolution could be litigation, an avenue I hate to even suggest.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

A general contractor is responsible for the performance of all his subs. In this case, he has to remedy the situation for your full satisfaction. I hope you haven't paid in full, like Spruce suggested.

Don't hesitate to take the GC to court if he gives you the run around - you will win for sure. Another thing you can do is report both of them, the GC and the painter to your contractors' board, if they fail to fix the situation.

I don't know if you can get anything for the inconvience, that's up to the judge/arbitrator. Please report back.

SIeaking as a former painting contractor, i concur with the other contributors here: don't give payment until you are completely satisfied!

The "painters" were incompetent. Someone might accidentally grab a finish coat and not note that it was exterior, but they certainly would know that drywall primer was not being used! Had a drywall primer been used, the peeling to drywall would not have been possible.

I doubt that health issues would be involved, but certainly on going adhesion problems need to be fixed. Quite frankly, I don't know of any way to cure that problem short of re-drywalling the entire area. I have long said that the most important coat of paint is the initial primer. If the primer , or lack there of, does not adhere, no additional coat of paint will cure that lack of adhesion. Indeed, the drying of the additional coats of paint may have aggravated the situation. Since there was no bond of a prime coat, the new paint actually acted to lessen what bond was there.

Cool Re: 2 coats of exterior paint on every interior wall in new home

If the paint is actually peeling off that easily, then that might be to your advantage in this case, you need as the others have suggested ,bare drywall, then 2 coats sealing primer, then 2 finish coats, watch the painters carefully, they may only do one primer coat and one finish coat to make up for the mistake, either way this is going to be a big job of scraping and sanding, this is unfortunate in your brand new home, but short of installing new drywall there is no other options, if the exterior paint they used was acrylic or latex then you should have no health worries just keep it ventilated why the paint cures. Good Luck!

The only definitive answer to your first question is in the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). Your general contractor and his sub must have these on file or they are in violation of OSHA. You have the right to see them on request. If they don't have them on file, they can get them from their supplier or at the paint manufacturer's web site.

All the rest of the advice give is good advice.
    Last edited by keith3267; 08-24-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    The only definitive answer to your first question is in the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). Your general contractor and his sub must have these on file or they are in violation of OSHA. You have the right to see them on request. If they don't have them on file, they can get them from their supplier or at the paint manufacturer's web site.

All the rest of the advice give is good advice.
    OSHA isn't something you'll generally find on a private residential job, so the likelihood of the GC having the MSDS on file or at his fingertips is slim to none, you are correct, however, that these documents are readily available at the supplier and the paint manufacturer's website.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I am sorry but the painter was an idiot. The only problem with putting on an exterior paint on the interior is the cost of the paint. Exterior paint has to be better because it must hold up to the elements. The paint I used in my kitchen is an exterior paint and I used it because I had it laying around and liked the color. The mill work paint I use is listed as an interior, exterior product. As others have said, it is a matter of to much paint in to short of time which caused moisture problems in the walls. The dry wall must be replaced to fix this problem, or you will have more problems down the road. Go after both the general and the painter now because it sounds like either one or both don't have a clue and they will not be around very long doing this type of work.