+ Reply to Thread

Thread: can't unplug

Exclamation can't unplug

Hi all. I was cleaning today and went to unplug the vacuum when finished and I can't. I have never had this happen before. The plug is stuck in a GFI outlet, it is polarized so I always have to be careful how I plug it in. The plug itself was warm to the touch, but that is normal for this vacuum.

Any tips on how I can get the plug out? I'm not an electrician, but I can do very basic wiring such as installing outlets, and putting in a new light fixture.

I am hoping to save both the plug and the outlet, but if one has to go, I guess I can replace the plug cheaper than I can replace the outlet.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: can't unplug

Most likely either the plug has melted into the receptacle or one of the sripn contacts in the receptacle has broken and is holding the plug. Either way you will have to replace the receptacle and most likely the plug.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Turn off the circuit breaker to this receptacle.
    Use a pair of pliers to unplug it.
    Check the condition of the receptacle and replace if needed.
    Turn the breaker back on.
    If the plug is damaged, replace.

Thanks guys, I finally got it unplugged. The plug itself doesn't appear damaged and works in other outlets. I think I have to replace the outlet that it was stuck in however.

Quote Originally Posted by Capellam44 View Post
    Thanks guys, I finally got it unplugged. The plug itself doesn't appear damaged and works in other outlets. I think I have to replace the outlet that it was stuck in however.
    Pay particular attention the next few times you use the vacuum that the plug doesn't get any hotter than usual or a noticeable motor performance change, which would indicate that the plug/cord were damaged during the removal process. You can replace the plug end if necessary, any hardware store will have a suitable replacement.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Sorry, but for less than $15 why take chances.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Sounds like you may have a super dooper vac. that pulls lots of current I would have the GFCI receptacle with a high quality 20A device and replace the receptacle cap (plug) at the same time.

Either one could have caused the problem and you don't want to repeate this again do you?
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content