+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Very old 3-way switch

Here's a picture of the switch

It appears that it only has one set of wipers and the screw is missing on one position. It appears to be a two position switch rather than a 3 way. It makes contact between 12 and 6 or between 3 and 9.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

ok, so now on to the important things....do i just go with a regular switch or cut the wall for the box and maybe find the wire and put in a double gang box???

Quote Originally Posted by kj4ltc View Post
    ok, so now on to the important things....do i just go with a regular switch or cut the wall for the box and maybe find the wire and put in a double gang box???
    Go with a regular 3w switch for safety, but,what you have could be used as a three way if you jumpered 3 to 12 (to create a "common" and use 6 and 9 as travelers.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

So, you're saying wire it up as a 3 way ?

I disagree. As it is now, it has a single wiper and it has power on 12 and would switch power on and off on 6, it never powers 9. Installing a 3 way you could end up applying power to wire that you don't know where it goes. I would install a single switch.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

thats what I was thinking Jack

Quote Originally Posted by kj4ltc View Post
    So, you're saying wire it up as a 3 way ?
    No it is old and the wipers probably have excessive contact resistance (safety issue) and it is not "listed" so would not meet Code.

But if you did what I said in post #13, technically, it could function as a 3 way switch.

I created a CAD drawing of the four possible switch positions but this forum will not allow me to post it, or I haven't discovered how to do it yet.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content