+ Reply to Thread

Default 1916 Victorian front porch repair advice

Hi I recently purchased a 1916 Victorian home and the front porch is need of repair/replacement. The front porch is built on the house stone block foundation and is open to the basement below (slopes from front to back, where the front is dirt and back is a finish basement) as well as the floor joist. It is your typically tongue and groove painted flooring which I assumed was a original to the house and is laid/installed on the house floor joist. After further investigation the tongue and groove isn't the original douglas fir or pine flooring. It has been replaced, my guess within the last 5+ years, and was laid over a plywood subfloor with a roof membrane over that than the T&G decking was installed over that. They probably thought this was a great idea as it sealed off the basement and floor joist but in turn created a space where water can collect and rot the T&G from the bottom up. I had a carpenter come by my house today to give me an estimate to have this replaced. He suggested to install AZEK T&G decking over the plywood subfloor with a ice and water shield.

My question is two fold:

1. Is this the best solution to install a PVC T&G product over a the plywood subfloor with a ice and water shield membrane
    2. Or, from what I read, is to remove the plywood subfloor and install a T&G either douglas fir or a hardwood such as IPE directly onto the floor joist?

Again this is open to a dirt basement below on the front of the house and slopes down to a 8' floor to ceiling height completed basement.

I apologize if this has been asked before but all the forums I've read about this subject is "the porch shouldn't be open to the basement below". I'm sure that's not common practice today but they obviously did this in the past. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: 1916 Victorian front porch repair advice

What the carpenter suggest is a good solution, just having T&G down will not garentee a water tight deck and you will get leaks into the basement. Another solution if you can stand the extra height of the floor, is to put down the ice and water shield membrane, install strips of one by material to lift the fir decking and allow a water drainage path.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks Jack for you reply. Unfortunately there is no additional height we can give up on the floor to install a one by material as that was my initial thought to allow some breathability. I guess the only other solution would be either to remove the existing floor joist and reframe to allow for more height or shaved the floor joist down some to allow for a one by material and double up the joist due to removing some height and structure from it.

One other solution would be to tear out the decking and plywood, nail firing strips on the side of the joists, and install plywood strips between the joists even with the top. Then install the membrane, firing strips and new decking. The height should then be the same if the existing plywood is 3/4".

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb