+ Reply to Thread

Default kitcken relocation

Hello, My home was built in 1920. At some point, we think maybe in the 1960's, the kitchen was re-located to a porch that was closed in on the back of our house. We suspect the kitchen was originally in what is now our formal dinning room. We are wanting to move the kitchen back into the now dinning room and turn the existing kitchen into a half bath. We are wondering if this will be a hard and expensive project? We are doing it for re-sale purposes. Is there a chance of capped plumbing in the room we could tap into? Thanks so much for your help!
    Last edited by bcurban; 08-21-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Default Re: kitcken relocation

I advise against - if it's only for the purpose of selling the house. You will never recover your investment.

Sell the house 'as is' and let the buyer worry about it.

dj is correct in a very general sense. my advice would be to get some advice from a good real estate agent in the area and have him/her do a CMA on your house "as is" and another one assuming that the work you propose is done. based on that CMA you should be able to determine if doing the work will be worth it.

if your house is curently worth $300,000 and with the changes it will be worth $350,000, it might not be worth it. but if it's worth $375,000 or $400,000 with the changes it might very well be worth it.

We have tried selling my home for the past 11 months with no offers. We were going to attempt to do the relocation as affordable as possible, doing some work ourselves and using existing appliances, flooring, cabinets etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bcurban View Post
    We have tried selling my home for the past 11 months with no offers. We were going to attempt to do the relocation as affordable as possible, doing some work ourselves and using existing appliances, flooring, cabinets etc.
    If your home is in a decent location, shows nicely, has good curb appeal and hasn't sold in 11 months - you know something is wrong here. The buyers are out there, in fact I hear about multiple offers everywhere. This all indicates that your asking price is probably too high.

Are you a FSBO (trying selling it yourself)? get a salesman/woman who will bust his/her butt for you. Not just take the listing and go to play golf/shopping. Get a salesman/woman who has sold many in your area, not a family member who lives 200 miles away. Read articles about selling hopmes in tough market.

Try this approach, and if it's not sold in 30 days, lower your price.

We have reduced the price 4 times, we are just getting feedback that the kitchen is too small. That is why we are thinking of this project.

That's bad news.

Can you rent the house while waiting for the market to improve? Change is coming - the president said so.

Yea, people have suggested this but I really want no parts of being a landlord (legality, repairs, etc).

Then reduce the price for the 5th time.

Let me tell you something about 'home value'. The value of any home or any other piece of real estate, is what a buyer will pay for it. Period.

All comps, zillows, appraisals, estimates, past sales, etc - they all become unimportant when a buyer makes an offer.

If you can't keep the home, rent it (hire a management company?) and MUST sell it - what other choice do you have?

I would love to reduce the price, however we have lived in our house for less then 5 years are we are currently underwater. We have already allocated other funds to pay realtor commissions in the event that we sell. We can afford our home, we just want to move more then "need".