+ Reply to Thread

Default Portable vent-free A/C for dorm room

Looking for advice on cooling unit options for western VA dorm room, please. Window unit a/c or any unit requiring venting or a special electrical outlet is not permitted and I'm hoping to find an option that has a small footprint and is reasonably priced. I looked into room-size evaporative units but with Virginia's humidity, it seems like a poor choice. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Default Re: Portable vent-free A/C for dorm room

Without a vent there is no way to get rid of the heat. Portable units generally require a 4" hose that need to be run outside.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You mentioned a window a/c. That's your best choice.
    Make sure it fits in the window opening then fill in the space around the a/c unit so it sits safely and you don't waste energy.

Hi

The convenient controls of standard portable AC - You can enjoy the air purification functions that you get with a regular portable A/C, plus low power consumption, low noise output.

Thanx

Smile Re: Portable vent-free A/C for dorm room

Quote Originally Posted by ladyredhead1 View Post
    Looking for advice on cooling unit options for western VA dorm room, please. Window unit a/c or any unit requiring venting or a special electrical outlet is not permitted and I'm hoping to find an option that has a small footprint and is reasonably priced. I looked into room-size evaporative units but with Virginia's humidity, it seems like a poor choice. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    No Window A/C unit, and no venting, and no power hogs to heat up their circuits. The school doesn't want your kid to have A/C.

As JMcD said, portable A/C requires a vent out. Most vent fixtures sit on the window sill and expand width wise. You don't want to spend $250 to have the dorm monitor confiscate it or disallow it. Also, you kid will have to drain the water pan regularly or the overflow switch will shut down the A/C. If you try to sneak the A/C in, you need to buy the smallest one possible, because they are not energy efficient and you kid may trip the circuit breaker with he/she & roomate start powering up desktop PC's, maybe a coffee maker, hairdrying in bed, etc. Dorms are not Four Seasons hotels.

Mom, only choice is a fan . . . I'm in No. VA, and the summer is like hades, but a few more weeks and he/she may last until next June when the heat returns. (Tell your kid to get good grades, and transfer to Stanford or UC Berkeley, CA - - he/she will have a blast there and won't need A/C and meet people who will change the world.