+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting vs. Stain cheap kitchen Cabneits

The builder in our home used the standard cheap o' cabneits for our kitchen. They have the very thin panel in the center. They currently are stained an Oak color and we are looking to get them darker. We would be ok with the wood grain showing thru somewhat but didn't know if that is possible with the painting option.

Do you suggest us using a oil based paint or a wood stain? I have read lots of articles about sanding down cabneits before doing either application and wanted to know what you suggested works best for this style of cabneit. I have also seen products that replace the sanding step.. Is that something you would ever recommend?

Oh and one more thing.. There is lots of talk about using a glaze is this something you only use with a latex paint? They seem to be fairly pricy but glazes can help pull out the wood grain right?

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Painting vs. Stain cheap kitchen Cabneits

i would suggest you to have oil based painting as they give more glow after painting and they are easily washable you can remove it whenever you want and you will get colour choices in it
    check this link >>> Hidden Content

If they are "cheap-o" cabinets, is the material real hardwood?

If you have real hardwood doors, I would suggest stain with a protective finish. You'll need to sand off the protective finish to be able to restain.

Painting them just changes the color and decreases the character of the wood. And, stain is much more preferable on hardwood.

Stain them after properly preparing.

If you stain them, after sanding them, use a prestain conditioner first. This will give you a uniform color.