+ Reply to Thread

Default Resurface Upstairs Balcony

Does anyone know of a step by step to resurface an upstairs balcony?

The structure, facades and railing are fine. I just need to waterproof the top part.

Default Re: Resurface Upstairs Balcony

Go on Youtube and watch some instructual vids. Doing this type of work is not for the inexperienced, so if you feel you can't do it, hire a roofer.

I used Duradek, a very tough vinyl membrane, designed for open balconies, pool decks etc. It is glue down and the seams are heat weldable. I have it one one of the open balconies of my 100 year old apartment building and it is just fine after four years. It is designed for people traffic and porch furniture. You do not need any roofing experience but do need flooring experience. If you can lay sheet goods then you can lay this. If you don't have flooring experience there are installers that lay this membrane. If for some reason the membrane does suffer damage it is easily repairable using a piece of scrap and heat welding the repair. The repair is not recognizable because of the pattern of the membrane. It is expensive stuff but it does the job.

The construction requirements are different for over living space or non living space. As mentioned above, the work is not for the in-experienced.

You also want a 5 year warranty at least.

I tried doing something like this at home. I ended up calling a pro and paying a lot more to “undo” the damage I’d done.