+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Threaded hole for grounding screw - upgrading from 2-prong to 3-prong outlet

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    The ground wire must go from the receptacle to the ground in the panel, not from a box to the panel.
    Something you may be missing here... it sounds like in the OP's case, there is no ground wire in the box; ground is provided by the conduit. So the ground screw on the receptacle needs to be bonded to the box.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default Re: Threaded hole for grounding screw - upgrading from 2-prong to 3-prong outlet

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Something you may be missing here... it sounds like in the OP's case, there is no ground wire in the box; ground is provided by the conduit. So the ground screw on the receptacle needs to be bonded to the box.
    Actually, if the box is properly grounded by conduit Art 250.146 allows us to simply fasten the receptacle to a metal box, after removing removing at least one of the two insulating washers, with the two screws provided.

I'm not a big fan of this method but a standard receptacle yoke will be legally grounded by doing so.

Many jurisdictions require a short wire from the receptacle ground screw to a metal box screw or clip. And, many required a green or bare wire from the box back to the power panel, even if in metal conduit. That's what I do no matter what the jurisdiction says, a good receptacle ground is too important to rely on conduit set screws or locknuts.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

I recently renovate my house and now it looks eye catching and beautiful. I got information about electrical stuffs and other lighting products right here from this forum. I purchased these and made my house superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylenn View Post
    I recently renovate my house and now it looks eye catching and beautiful. I got information about electrical stuffs and other lighting products right here from this forum. I purchased these and made my house superb.
    Great Jaylenn, glad we were able to help. Thanks for the thanks!
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content