+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Smile Re: Wired Backwards?

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    Are your black wires in the sub panel going to the neutral bus bar with the grounds and the white wires on the breakers?
    I haven't looked that far into yet. It's got to be either backwards upstairs at the subpanel, or in the basement where they tapped off of the main panel. The first thing that I want to do is to install a switched light in that area so I don't need a flashlight. Later today I'm going to look and see how it's wired in the basement. I'll update this thread as I learn more

Question Re: Wired Backwards?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    bringing it up to code is a smart idea.
    Yes I've decided to not only fix the wiring but to also install a brand new sub panel. The one in there now is the older style with screw in fuses. Loews has a new 10 space subpanel for 30.00 which gives me 4 extra spaces for expanding if needed. It's not to costly and since I have to rewire the subpanel anyway might as well update it now.

When I was looking closer at the sub panel currently in there I noticed that the bottom two fuse sockets were corroded (see picture below). What would cause this?

Default Re: Wired Backwards?

You asked the question if the upstairs wiring would affect the down stairs wiring and I would say no, but with a caveat, no, only if the hot and return are switched between the panels. If a ground is also mixed up, then there will be problems.

You should find the source of the mixup between the panels, and I would go as far as to pull the cover on at least one downstairs outlet and check its wiring. Once you find the source of the mix up, then you need to correct it and all the affected outlets lest someone gets hurt.

Well I finally got a chance today to open up the main electrical box downstairs, and the electrical sub-box upstairs to see how they were wired. From what I can see it looks like the box downstairs is wired correctly. They have the red and the black going to a circuit breaker (each one 30 amps) and the white going to the neutrals. The only thing 'odd' is that the white wire has black tape on it. Not sure if it was nicked or not. I wanted to pass everything by you pros first to see if you see anything that I might have missed, before I do any wiring. Here is the main box downstairs:

Here are the red and black hooked up to the upstairs sub-box:

Here is the neutral bar:

Here are the hots going to the fuses:

Here is the entire sub-box:

So what do you guys think? It looks to me like the box downstairs and the main feeds upstairs were wired correctly, BUT every single receptacle was wired backwards. Do you agree?

From the pictures it looks like the wires were connected incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    From the pictures it looks like the wires were connected incorrectly.
    Hi dj1 Could you please be more specific? Which wires were connected incorrectly? The red/black to the sub-box, or the receptacles were reversed?

Quote Originally Posted by MyMilan View Post
    Hi dj1 Could you please be more specific? Which wires were connected incorrectly? The red/black to the sub-box, or the receptacles were reversed?
    I was expecting to find white wires at the neutral bar and black wires at the fuses. The red and black at the bottom seem fine.

First question...what awg wire was run to the fuse box?

Second question...are there two white wires to each fuse?

Third question...is that ground wire as close to the black supply lug as it looks?

Fourth question...where does the white wire & ground wire from the downstairs box terminate?

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    First question...what awg wire was run to the fuse box?
    Not sure, but will check and post it for you.

are there two white wires to each fuse?
    All but one fuse has two whites going to it.

is that ground wire as close to the black supply lug as it looks?
    You mean this ground and black supply?

If so then yes. You have good eyes. I didn't even notice that. Upon closer inspection they wrapped the black supply wire under and around that terminal. The insulation is actually touching one of the grounds. That will be one of the first things that I rewire. Instead of running the wire under the terminal, I will run it directly to the terminal and re-route all those grounds out of that area. THANKS for mentioning that

where does the white wire & ground wire from the downstairs box terminate?
    White wire goes to the neutral bar. I do not see a ground wire. The cable has a metal jacket and has three wires; black, white and red. The black goes to one 30 amp circuit breaker and the red goes to another 30 amp circuit breaker. Could they be using the metal jacket as the ground? When I test the recepticles they do show a ground connected, so they have to have a ground somewhere, but I definitely don't see a separate ground wire downstairs.

The individual receptacles are wired right, its the fuse panel that is not. You have the white wire from down stairs going to the buss bar, that is correct, but each white wire from the upstairs receptacle should also be going to the buss bar and the black wires to the fuses. You will correct this when you install the the breaker box. White to the ground/neutral buss and black to each CB.