+ Reply to Thread

Default Electrical Runs Along Basement Wall

I have 7 new runs that come from various rooms of the house and to the basement of my house. Right now the lines temporarily run along the wall rather than through the joists as I normally see. The basement space is semi-finished meaning no drywall or framing but not a damp or musty space.

Are there any codes or best practices that relate to attaching the runs along the wall rather than having to drill new holes through the joists? Is this even allowed? It is a simple concrete wall that runs behind the washer but i'm thinking maybe I can attach a few 2x4's to the wall and secure the wires to that on its way 8 feet to the breaker panel. No obstructions other than 2 pipes that run vertically to the washing machine that i can easily work around.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Default Re: Electrical Runs Along Basement Wall

I assume the runs you speak of are Romex and they're running along the concrete wall.

If the walls are truely dry and the Romex (NM-B) is secured at last every 4 1/2' it is legal.

If the concrete is damp, Romex called NM-C should be used.

But, I suppose because you're asking, the Romex is not secured very well and it has to jump over the vertical pipes etc.

The best solution is to attach a treated piece of lumber thick enough to allow notches for the pipes and wide enough for the number of pieces of Romex to be stapled to the "running board" side by side.

Because the treated wood will have to be secured to the concreate with relatively expensive anchors every 5 ft or so it will be a lot less expensive and faster than anchoring the Romex.

A major cause of Romex wire failure installed by homeowners is driving steel staples too tightly. A simple fix is to use platic staples with a small nail on each end.

If you must do so, you can staple two pieces of Romex with one staple if they lay flat and if the cables are not the round type like 12-3. This IMO would not be as good an installation but would be legal.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Would pressure treated wood have any known effects on the NM-B? I'm hoping any chemicals in the wood do not have any side effects on the sheathing. I could easily anchor 1x or 2x along the wall on its way to the panel and I have plenty of plastic staples. Thanks.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

I've never heard of an chemical reaction from treated lumber to wire, metal plastic etc. and it is required if up against concrete.

Here ya go Sparky read this.......yes..pressure treated will corrode/eat through metal,including your the anchors you strap the metal pipe,BX with. We wont tell anyone a wood guy gave you the info......

http://www.deckmagazine.com/article/209.html

http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/bulletins/T-PTWOOD08-R.pdf
    Last edited by Gizmo; 08-20-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

It won't affect the wires themselves. You can look into using plastic straps (loops) and coated screws or double dipped galvanized nails for fastening. There is dimensional PVC lumber now, quite a bit more costly than PT, but you should be able to use it instead of PT. Since you only need a little, the overall cost shouldn't be that high.

Gizmo (lol) & keith both good pieces of info..thanks.

Hi

You could plan on putting a 3' pvc conduit sleeve through the wall to protect the wire inside of the basement. Also what can you seal the conduit where the wire enters with so no water leaks into the conduit and runs down into my sub panel.

Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Mera View Post
    Hi

You could plan on putting a 3' pvc conduit sleeve through the wall to protect the wire inside of the basement. Also what can you seal the conduit where the wire enters with so no water leaks into the conduit and runs down into my sub panel.

Thanx
    Yes, if the wiring is coming thru a concrete wall a PVC sleeve sounds like a good idea. If it's no more than 2' long it's within Code.

Electrical duct seal or electrical expanding foam to seal out water, both sold at electrical supply houses.

What about doing it the right way - cutting out some drywall (where present) and running the wires thru studs and joists?

Doing so, you eliminate all unknowns, not to code and misconceptions.