+ Reply to Thread

Default Shiny Spot on Matte Laminate Flooring

I tried to remove a light scratch from our new matte finish laminate floor using an abrasive cleaner, which has now resulted in an unsightly and obvious shiny patch. Is there any way of restoring the matte finish? So your help would be greatly appreciated. I feel depressed that I did this. Please help.
    Thank you Vicki~
    Last edited by logan3033; 08-19-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Default Re: Shiny Spot on Matte Laminate Flooring

Depending on the damage, I think you're probably out of luck.

When I had damaged planks, I've always had to replace them. That involved removing a lot of planks to get to the damaged one and re-install them.

Thank you for your reply. I think that you are right. I just did not want to believe it. Did you have to remove the mopboards also? I have the click laminate flooring, not clued. Apparently there is a tool that you can use without taking off mopboards. How long did it take you? Could you explain more what the process entails? Sorry to ask so many questions. This is stressing me out!

Also, about how long does it take to get to the middle of a room?

The last plank that was installed will be the first one out (LIFO - last in first out), till you get to the damaged one.

Mopboard (I assume you mean baseboard) has to be removed.

This is pure labor, on your knees, bent down. How long depends on your experience, stamina, size of room, etc. Reinstallation will take longer. You'll find that some planks won't fit like before and you'll need extra planks for replacement. Put the planks exactly as they were before. If you need to, number them on the back when you remove them.

Good luck.

Logan,

You might first goive something a try, as youhave nothing to lose: carefully scuff sand that piece of flooring with very fine sandpaper, keeping off the neighboring boards. Now tape off that board(s) with blue painters tape and newspaper out 4 or 5 feet. Now spray that board with Zinsser's Spray Shellac in a can. This is de-waxed shellac. It will stick to almost any finish and almost any product will stick to it. This is intended to be a bond coat, although, if the sheen is right, it could be simply left as is. If the sheen is not correct, you can try other spray finishes. Urethanes, either oil or water based, will stick to the shellac. Water based will dry clearer, without the slight amber tone of
    oil urethanes.

As I stated, if it works, you will have saved lots of effort and expense. If not, oh well

Ordjen's idea is a long shot, but may be worth trying.

Laminate is a very, what's the word, well, crappy product. Easily damaged, hard to repair. I've had my share of frustration with it.

Thank you both for sharing your knowledge.

dj1, I appreciate your explaining the plank removal/reinstallation process and your support about a possible solution. So helpful. I also appreciate your commenting about this product being "crappy" and sharing your frustrations. I felt so depressed because I made such a stupid mistake.

ordjen, thank you for offering a possible solution and explaining how to apply it. I think that it would be a good idea for me to practice this process on an extra plank before I tackle the floor. I will be cautiously hopeful, but, thanks to both of you, I am prepared either way.

If you want, I will let you know how it turns out.

I just want to let you know that I respect your advice, and I cannot thank you enough for helping me.

I think you maybe could matte it out with a gray scotchbrite pad (or a green one if that's still too shiny) go in a crosshatch direction for best results.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.