+ Reply to Thread

Default enginered wood flooring

I have just had a measurement done to install the flooring.The floor is concrete.What preparations should I watch for or do to assure the flooring is installed correctly.I have removed all the quarter round previously.Should the baseboards be removed or just replace the quarter round after the flooring is in?Moisture barrier needed? Patch any holes from carpet tacks etc.What else should I do?The floor will be laid as a floating floor to compensate for slight foundation shifting. Is this a wise idea?
    Last edited by tggringo; 08-15-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: LEFT OUT QUESTION ON FLOORING.

Default Re: enginered wood flooring

The only things you need to worry about are to make sure all the tack strip nails are removed, low/high spots floated to prevent flexing and a hollow "knock" as you walk across the floor, scr-ape the entire floor to make sure it is clean and smooth, and finally vacuum so that no grit or sharp things are left to poke holes in the vapor barrier.

Baseboards do not have to come off if you will be using quarter round to hide the edge of the flooring. IMHO, a cleaner look is to run the flooring under the baseboard and omit the shoe/quarter round altogether. To tuck the floor under the base you will need to remove it before the floor goes down.

Definitely will need a vapor barrier and probably padding. Check the manufacturer's recommendations, as this is the only thing that matters to maintain your warranty.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 08-16-2012 at 02:50 AM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

THANKS i KNEW i COULD COUNT ON YOU!

You are welcome.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!