+ Reply to Thread

Default Need help wiring a ceiling fan (with remote)

Hello. We just moved into a new home and I'm attempting to install a ceiling fan in our bedroom.

The wall switch contains the following.

THREE SWITCHES

RIGHT - Has two dimmer switches (one labeled light and one labeled fan)
    - Black wire
    - Green wire
    - Blue wire

MIDDLE - Normal switch. Not sure what this one does.
    - Copper wire (ground?) only

LEFT - This normal switch turns on power to an outlet by the bed, that I use with a floor lamp.
    - Black wire
    - Red wire
    - copper/bare wire

OUTLET BOX IN CEILING
    - Red wire
    - Black wire
    - White wire
    - Bare/ground wire

CEILING FAN
    - Black wire
    - White wire

Those wires come from the little remote control box. The other side has three wires (black, white and blue) with instructions to connect those to the like-colored wires on the fan itself. That part makes sense.

So my question is. What wires in the outlet box do I connect the BLACK and WHITE wires to? What do I do with the red wire?

Any help would be great, thx.

Default Re: Need help wiring a ceiling fan (with remote)

Steve,

IS this a single family residence? A condo? What is your city?

Can you take the fan back to the store you bought it from? Your house was wired to accept a fan without a remote control. You need a non remote controlled fan that will work with dimmer switches.

To use this fan, you will need to have an electrician rewire the right switch with a plain on/off wall switch, or if there is an unterminated cable in the wall with a black, white and bare wire, connect these to the middle switch and use it instead. The electrician will need to determine if the unterminated cable goes to the ceiling box.

"Those wires come from the little remote control box" What wires?

If the remote control box you are talking about is removable, then remove it and don't use it. The the fan should be wired white to white, black to black. The blue probably is wired to the red, but maybe not. This color wire bothers me.

The green and blue wires from the dimmer switches, are these pigtail wires that go to wire nuts with other colored wires from the wall? If so, what color goes to what color. This is important because it would determine which wire goes to what in the ceiling fan. I have not seen blue used in normal current carrying house wires, only in signal wires. It bothers me that you are seeing a blue wire in the switch box but not in the ceiling box.
    Last edited by keith3267; 08-15-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Add some concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Steve,

IS this a single family residence? A condo? What is your city?
    Hi. It is a single family residence.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    Can you take the fan back to the store you bought it from? Your house was wired to accept a fan without a remote control. You need a non remote controlled fan that will work with dimmer switches.

To use this fan, you will need to have an electrician rewire the right switch with a plain on/off wall switch, or if there is an unterminated cable in the wall with a black, white and bare wire, connect these to the middle switch and use it instead. The electrician will need to determine if the unterminated cable goes to the ceiling box.

"Those wires come from the little remote control box" What wires?

If the remote control box you are talking about is removable, then remove it and don't use it. The the fan should be wired white to white, black to black. The blue probably is wired to the red, but maybe not. This color wire bothers me.

The green and blue wires from the dimmer switches, are these pigtail wires that go to wire nuts with other colored wires from the wall? If so, what color goes to what color. This is important because it would determine which wire goes to what in the ceiling fan. I have not seen blue used in normal current carrying house wires, only in signal wires. It bothers me that you are seeing a blue wire in the switch box but not in the ceiling box.
    I took some pictures. Hopefully they help. I appreciate the responses so far. Thank you.

Question Re: Need help wiring a ceiling fan (with remote)

First the middle switch is not being used, there is only a ground wire on it.
    Second The wall outlet switch most likely the red is hot to the switch and the black is the switched hot to the outlet.
    Third the dimmer switch (an educated guess) has three wires black is hot, blue to fan light, and black/white to fan. The black/white is most likely connect to the black wire going to the fan, the blue most likely connected to the red wire going to the fan the white wire in the switch box is connected to the white to the fan.

You connect the black wire to the black wire on the remote inlet side, connect the white on the inlet side to the other white wires in the switch box, connect the remote out black to the black going to the fan, connect the remote out blue to the red wire going to the fan and just pretend the red is blue. connect the remote out white to the white wire going to the fan.

This is just a guess based on standard wiring practices and may not necessarily match what you have.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb